12-29-17 Walk this Way
YOUNGSTOWN, OH - The Madison Capitols finished their two-game series with the Youngstown Phantoms with a 4-1 victory at Covelli Centre on Friday night.
Madison (9-14-0-1) is ranked ninth in the Eastern Conference with 19 points. Youngstown (12-8-3-1) is tied for first in the Eastern Conference with 28 points.
Defenseman Jared Kucharek netted his second goal in as many nights to give Madison a 2-1 lead at 14:34 of the first period. Skating on another power play, center Ludwig Stenlund passed the puck to Kucharek at the center point. The blueliner fired a slap shot through traffic and into the net for his second goal of the season.
Center Joey Abate put the Phantoms on the scoreboard at 2:09 of the first period. Abate took a hook from a Capitols player as he chased the puck down in the left corner of the zone. Abate collected the puck and turned to toss it on the net. The puck slipped between goaltender Dryden McKay and the goal post for a 1-0 lead.
Madison tied the game at 1-1 with left wing Alec Broetzman's 12th goal of the season at 5:26 of the opening frame. Skating on the power play, center Michael Mancinelli found Broetzman in the right face-off circle. Broetzman roofed the puck past netminder Wouter Peeters to tie the game.
The Capitols took a 3-1 lead with left wing Verners Egle's fifth goal of the season. Center Cade Borchardt passed the puck to Egle in the end zone and the forward carried the puck around the net from left to right and completed the wrap around by sliding the puck five-hole on Peeters at 9:01 of the middle stanza.
Left wing Brendan Walkom picked up an unassisted goal at 4:11 of the third period. Walkom stole the puck away from a Phantoms defenseman and skated in on Peeters for the unassisted tally.
McKay (8-10-0-1) earned his eighth win of the season, stopping 29-of-30 shots. Peeters (6-6-1-1) took his sixth loss of the season with 20 saves on 24 shots.
Madison was 2-for-5 on the power play. Youngstown went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
Notables: Madison is on a two-game winning streak...Defenseman Jared Kucharek scored his second goal in as many games...Left wing Alec Broetzman has scored four points (2-24) in his last two games.
The Capitols travel to battle with the Central Illinois Flying Aces at Grossinger Motors Arena in a 4:07 p.m. contest on Sunday, December 31. Madison will return home for a $1 Beer Night at 7:05 p.m. at Bob Suter's Capitol Ice Arena on Friday, January 12. For ticket information be sure to visit www.madcapshockey.com .
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 31, 2017
- RoughRiders Add Forward Cardelli from Fargo - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Preview: Storm Look to Stay Hot Tonight vs. Green Bay - Tri-City Storm
- Postgame Recap: Hawks Outshine Stars, 4-3 - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede Rally to Top Fargo in OT - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Comeback Stopped in 4-3 Loss to Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Fall to Madison on Star Wars Night - Youngstown Phantoms
- 12-29-17 Walk this Way - Madison Capitols
- U.S. Edges Canada, 4-3, in Shootout in Front of Record Crowd Outdoors at New Era Field - U.S. National Team
- Fighting Saints Set to Unveil Saint4Life - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- RELEASE -- Alum Vinni Lettieri to Make NHL Debut Tonight with New York Rangers - Lincoln Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.