Wisconsin Herd Dash Through Westchester Knicks
WHITE PLAINS, NY, - The Westchester Knicks (14-8), the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, dropped its second contest in a row at home against the Wisconsin Herd (12-7), the Milwaukee Bucks' affiliate. Despite having two players with 30-plus points, the Knicks fell to the Herd 123-117.
Knicks affiliate Trey Burke went 10-for-20 to lead Westchester with 32 points. Two-Way player Luke Kornet established a new career-high with 31 points while providing four rebounds and two blocked shots. On assignment from the New York Knicks, Damyean Dotson poured in 19 points with five rebounds, four assists, and three steals. Knicks affiliate Xavier Rathan-Mayes ended the night with a double-double consisting of 13 each of points and assists while Nigel Hayes contributed nine points and seven rebounds.
Herd guard Xavier Munford lead all scorers in the game with 36 points, also contributing eight rebounds, five assists, and three steals. Forward Kyle Casey notched a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds while James Young knocked in 18 points with five assists. From the pine, Cliff Alexander provided 19 points, five rebounds, and three assists while Cameron Oliver contributed 14 points and seven rebounds with two blocked shots.
Westchester jumped out with the advantage in the first five minutes of the game, using a 12-4 run to take an eight-point lead. The Herd charged back with a 12-4 run of its own though, tying it back up over the next minute. A back-and-forth battle ensued, both teams with shooting percentages in the high 50's, but a 12-point quarter from James Young gave Wisconsin a slight two-point lead. The second looked much like the first, the Knicks taking an eight-point lead but the Herd answering right back for another back-and-forth ending to the quarter. Trey Burke and Luke Kornet combined for 28 points, Kornet hitting three shots from beyond the arc, and Westchester went into the second half with a one-point advantage.
The game changed its look in the third quarter, as Wisconsin went on a 37-point tear, limiting Westchester to just 23. Going up by as many as 16 points off of a 19-5 run, the Herd held 13 points over the Knicks heading into the final twelve minutes. Though Westchester was down, the home team was certainly not out, as the Knicks chipped away at the Herd's lead. With 2:46 on the clock, Luke Kornet sank another three to come within two points, but Wisconsin's Xavier Mumford ruined any chance of a comeback with a quick six points to solidify a 123-117 Herd win.
NBA G League Stories from January 8, 2018
- Charge Ousted by Knicks - Canton Charge
- Sioux Falls Out-Hustled by Memphis, 131-115 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Hold off Last Second Efforts of Skyforce - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Drop Third Straight at Home - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Pin Nets for the Win - Canton Charge
- Wisconsin Herd Dash Through Westchester Knicks - Westchester Knicks
- Lakers Slip Past Charge - Canton Charge
- Morris, Nnoko Excel in Drive's Win over Maine - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall in Grand Rapids - Maine Red Claws
- Greg Heineman Named First-Year Nominee for 2018 Naismith Hall of Fame - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends' Hot Shooting Not Enough to Strike Vipers - Texas Legends