OKC Energy FC Add Samir Badr and Peabo Doue to RosterFebruary 18, 2014 - American Hockey League (AHL) Oklahoma City Barons
Badr, a goalkeeper from Fairfax, Va., hails from the United States' U20 and U17 programs. He played for the U-20 National Team during the 2011 cycle, competing in Peru, Northern Ireland and Holland. He played for Portugal's FC Porto B during the 2010-11 season and first earned a spot on the team during the 2009-10 season following a successful tryout. Badr trained under Dutch goalkeeping coach Wil Coort while with the team.
Badr signed a contract with Egyptian Premier League's El Hodood in January 2012 but the league's season was cut short due to the Al Masry-Al Ahly tragedy. Badr has multiple training stints with Portugese Superliga, German Bundesliga and MLS clubs, including DC United's academy. Badr was a part of the U.S. National youth program from ages 13-19.
Doue, a left midfielder, hails from Takoma Park, Md., and last played with USL PRO's Phoenix FC. Doue made 16 appearances during the 2013 season for the Wolves. Doue played four years at West Virginia University. He was also a product of DC United's academy and the U17 US program.
The addition of Badr and Doue bring the number of players signed by OKC Energy FC to nine. They join Michael Thomas, Gareth Evans, Phillip Lund, Paul Wyatt, Cyprian Hedrick, Kyle Miller and Nate Shiffman
Season seat holders who have paid in full may participate in the team's Select-a-Seat event on February 22. Those individuals who have not paid in full and wish to select seats as soon as possible may contact their account representative at 235-KICK.
Energy FC is led by former Sporting Kansas City goaltender and 2013 MLS Cup champion, Jimmy Nielsen. Nielsen was a two-time MLS All Star, the 2012 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year, and goalkeeper for the 2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open championship club.
USL PRO is the strongest, best operated and most experienced North American men's professional soccer league outside of Major League Soccer (MLS). Focused on franchise stability and longevity, USL PRO features 15 teams for the 2014 season, including expansion teams in Oklahoma City and Sacramento. Presently 10 USL PRO teams have direct affiliations with Major League Soccer clubs.
The league not only serves as a springboard to the MLS for players, but also for franchises. Five of the last six clubs to enter MLS have moved up from the USL's top professional division. Among the most successful clubs, the Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Montreal Impact and Orlando City SC all operated franchises in the USL's top professional division before making the transition to MLS.
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2014
- Smith-Pelly's Hat Trick Not Enough as Charlotte Defeats Norfolk 4-3 - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Hang on to Defeat Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- IceCaps Sink Pirates 7-5 - Portland Pirates
- Records Fall as IceCaps Bust Out - St. John's IceCaps
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks Return Home...Finally - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Sabres Terminate Omark Contract - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Enter Three-In-Three at Home against Barons and Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Wild Raises over $36,000 for Susan G. Komen Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Amerks to Support USA Hockey's "Hockey Weekend Acros - Rochester Americans
- Falcons to Hold Interactive Hockey Event at Tower Square - Springfield Falcons
- OKC Energy FC Add Samir Badr and Peabo Doue to Roster - Oklahoma City Barons
- Five Phantoms Suspended from Sunday Brawl - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly - Norfolk Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Less Than 1,000 Tickets Remain for Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Recall Darling from Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Welcome Cheap Trick After Friday's Game - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Corner: 50/50 - Utica Comets
- 2014 Labatt Blue Bubble Hockey Tournament Underway - AHL
- Mike Keenan Loaned to Stockton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pirates Look for 3rd Straight Win, Face IceCaps at Colisee - Portland Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.