Impact Takes on Red Bulls Wednesday in New JerseyMay 7, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Montreal Impact
Head to head
The Impact shut out the Red Bulls 1-0 in the first matchup this season, on March 23 at Olympic Stadium. Designated Player Marco Di Vaio scored the game-winning goal.
The Impact and the Red Bulls faced each other three times in 2012. The Impact lost the first two matchups 5-2 on March 31 at Red Bull Arena and 2-1 on May 19 at Olympic Stadium, before winning 3-1 on July 28 at Stade Saputo.
In its last matchup, the Impact played the San Jose Earthquakes to a 2-2 draw on the road last Saturday. Midfielder Justin Mapp scored a brace, with his first goal of the game in nomination for Goal of the Week honours.
Having tied the Columbus Crew on April 13 and defeating the Chicago Fire 2-0 on April 28, the Impact is now tied for top spot in the Eastern Conference at 17 points with New York, Sporting Kansas City and the Houston Dynamo. However, the Impact has games in hand on all three teams.
The Impact's road record is near the top of the league at 2-1-1, defeating the Seattle Sounders on opening weekend 1-0 at CenturyLink Field before topping the Portland Timbers 2-1 at JELD-WEN Field the following week, while earning a draw last weekend on the West Coast.
Against San Jose, midfielder Patrice Bernier extended his team record, playing in his 24th consecutive game with the Impact in MLS.
Defender Jeb Brovsky's next start will be his 50th career in MLS. Since the club's debut in MLS, Brovsky leads all defenders with 36 games played, 33 starts and 2,953 minutes of play. Midfielder Justin Mapp's next start will be his 200th in MLS. He also needs just one assist to reach 50 career MLS assists.
New York Red Bulls news
With their 1-0 win in Columbus on Saturday, the Red Bulls have now conceded two goals in their last three games, and three times in their last five. That defensive success has been the foundation for New York's four wins in their last five matches and the teams push up the Eastern Conference standings.
Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles came up big in Saturday's match against the Columbus Crew to parry away a Federico Higuain penalty-kick attempt in the 72nd minute, nominated for Save of the Week honours.
Midfielder and Designated Player Tim Cahill opened his account in MLS, scoring three goals in his last two games, including the game-winner versus the Crew. Cahill is now tied for the team scoring lead with forwards Thierry Henry, Fabian Espindola and defender Jamison Olave, with three goals each.
French import striker Peguy Luyindula is still looking for his first goal in MLS, having accumulated two assists in five appearances.
The Impact returns home to take on Real Salt Lake at Stade Saputo this Saturday, at 2pm (ET).
Single game tickets for all of the team's home games are available via the Admission network (admission.com / 1-855-790-1245) or via the Stade Saputo ticket office (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).
Major League Soccer Stories from May 7, 2013
- Dodgers to Host 2012 MLS Cup Champion LA Galaxy Tomorrow for LA Galaxy Night at Dodger Stadium - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Bolaños happy to return to action - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Impact Takes on Red Bulls Wednesday in New Jersey - Montreal Impact
- Revolution Acquires Juan Agudelo from Chivas USA - New England Revolution
- GM Michael Burns Calls Move to Acquire Juan Agudelo "A No-Brainer" - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Launch Successful Opening 50/50 Raffle - Philadelphia Union
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends Sporting Kansas City Midfielder Paulo Nagamura - MLS
- Chivas USA Trade Forward Juan Agudelo - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Busy Stretch Begins Midweek When Real Salt Lake Visits Foxborough - New England Revolution
- Timbers U-23s Announce Four More Roster Additions - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Acquire New Zealand International Brockie - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Acquire Scottish Defender Caldwell - Toronto FC
- United Drives to Collect Children's Toys - D.C. United
- Limited Tickets Remain for Match on May 11 Versus LA Galaxy - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Named MLS Works Humanitarian of the Month - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Hosts Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at New England Revolution - Real Salt Lake
- National Finals of Sueño MLS 2013 Kick-Off Thursday in Los Angeles - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Following Houston Defeat, LA Galaxy Hope That Road Trip Leads to Return of Form - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.