RailRiders and Chiefs Split DoubleheaderApril 20, 2013 - International League (IL) Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
Wang (1-0), making his first start in the Yankees system since 2009, scattered six hits in his five and one-third innings to earn the win in game one. He also added three strikeouts, and did not walk a batter in his first outing of 2013.
The RailRiders wasted no time in giving Wang run support, as they put up three runs in the first. Corban Joseph led off the inning with a home run to right field. Two outs later, Dan Johnson began the two-out rally with a walk. Luke Murton followed with a single to move Johnson to third, and then Thomas Neal singled to left, plating Johnson. Bobby Wilson capped the inning by singling to left, driving home Murton.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre pushed across another run in the third. With two outs, Johnson walked, and moved to second on a single by Murton. Neal followed with a line drive hit to left, plating Johnson. Neal's second RBI of the game extended the RailRider lead, 4-0.
Wilson widened the gap with a solo home run in the sixth inning.
Syracuse made game one interesting, as they scored three runs in the seventh inning. Zach Walters reached on an error to begin the inning, and moved to second on Carlos Rivero's single. The bases were loaded when Jerad Head singled to left. One out later, Will Rhymes singled to score Walters, and the bases remained loaded. Jeff Kobernus capped the Syracuse scoring with a single, plating both Rivero and Head. The Kobernus hit gave game one its final margin of 5-3 in favor of the RailRiders.
Brett Marshall got the nod for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in game two, and ran into trouble in the first inning. With two outs, Rhymes singled to center, and scored when Marrero hit a towering home run to left field.
The RailRiders followed with a run in the bottom of the first. Joseph led off with a double to right field, and moved to third on a groundout by David Adams. After walks to Zoilo Almonte and Johnson loaded the bases, Austin Romine walked to force home Joseph, and cut the Syracuse lead to one.
The Chiefs scored a run in the second when Rivero singled and came around to score on a double by Jeff Howell.
Joseph answered quickly for the RailRiders, as he powered a home run to right field, cutting the deficit to 3-2.
Marrero pushed the lead back to two runs when he led off the third inning with another long distance home run to left field.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plated one run in the fourth. Neal doubled with one out, and was brought home when Gil Velazquez reached on a throwing error by Jimmy Van Ostrand. The Chiefs carried the 4-3 lead into the seventh inning, and held off a rally by the RailRiders. With two outs, Almonte reached on an error by Walters, but Johnson hit a pop foul behind the plate that was caught by Howell to end the game.
Michael Crotta (2-1) earned the win after entering the game in the fourth and tossing one and two-thirds scoreless innings. Marshall (0-2) was handed the loss, he allowed four runs over five innings of work.
The RailRiders and Chiefs will play game three of their four game series tomorrow afternoon at PNC Field. It's a Family FUNday presented by NEPA Honda, and Hockey Day will be celebrated at the ballpark as members of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins will be on hand. First pitch is scheduled for 1:05 p.m.
International League Stories from April 20, 2013
- RailRiders and Chiefs Split Doubleheader - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Freeman Powers Gwinnett to 6-0 Win - Gwinnett Braves
- Bulls Get Powerful in Doubleheader Sweep of Tides - Durham Bulls
- Marrero Leads Chiefs to Doubleheader Split - Syracuse Chiefs
- Hens Lose Duel in Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Sox Option Jackie Bradley Jr. to Pawtucket - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Indians Blanked by Bats, 3-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Hamilton and Perez Key Bats' 3-0 Shutout of Indy - Louisville Bats
- Bats' Pitching Struggles, Issues 12 Walks in Loss - Louisville Bats
- Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- PawSox Drop Series Opener in Snowy Rochester - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tekotte Recalled to Chicago on Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Notes (DH) - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Columbus Swept in Doubleheader by Toledo - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.