Bruce Arena Has Options to Fill Voids Left by International Call-UpsMarch 19, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy Press Release
On Saturday night when the two-time defending MLS Cup champions take on the Colorado Rapids, they will do so without the two veterans, who are away on international duty. But despite having Keane in Ireland preparing for a pair of crucial World Cup qualifiers against Sweden and Austria and Gonzalez with the U.S. National Team ahead of their qualifiers against Costa Rica and Mexico, Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena still has plenty of options at his disposal.
The defense, for example, should make a seamless transition in Gonzalez's absence, with either A.J. DeLaGarza or Leonardo, each of who have played significant minutes so far this season, sliding into Gonzalez's position in central defense. Tommy Meyer is another possibility, though he's just returning from a left hamstring injury.
The top of the formation, however, is where things get particularly interesting. Arena, for example, could start Mike Magee, who had three goals in a season-opening 4-0 victory over the Chicago Fire, and pair him up top with Jack McBean, Jose Villarreal, 2013 first round SuperDraft pick Charlie Rugg or even Chandler Hoffman, acquired earlier this month from the Philadelphia Union.
Arena also might go with the Homegrown pairing of McBean and Villarreal, who have had their moments of brilliance in limited duty.
"That would be pretty crazy," said Villarreal, who missed most of the preseason with the U.S. Under-20 National Team at the recent CONCACAF U-20 Championship, but returned to score for LA against Herediano in the Champions League last week. "Two (Galaxy) academy kids playing with the first team and starting, that would be like going back to the academy days.
"It would be nice. We know each other pretty well. It would work pretty well."
McBean, who came off the bench to give the Galaxy a 1-0 lead in Sunday's eventual 1-1 tie with Chivas USA, said he feels ready if called upon for a starting spot Saturday against the Colorado Rapids at The Home Depot Center.
"I feel pretty ready," he said. "The game on Sunday was good for my confidence. Coming in and getting a goal and helping the team any way I can."
Even Hoffman, the ex-UCLA standout and former first round pick of the Union, could be in the mix.
"I've been here close to 2 1/2 weeks now, and I've kind of gotten used to how the club works, how the guys go about preparing for games.
"I feel I'm ready to step up if I'm called upon."
Whatever Arena intends to do for Saturday, either up front or in defense, he wasn't letting on.
"I'm not sure we've arrived at where we're going to go," he said after training on Tuesday. "I think we need to get through the week a little bit before we decide what we're going to do.
"We're clearly making two changes. How many more remains to be seen. We'll play it out a little during the week."
Major League Soccer Stories from March 19, 2013
- LA Galaxy Academy Names Dallas Cup Roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Kann - Chicago Fire
- Bruce Arena Has Options to Fill Voids Left by International Call-Ups - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Re-Signs Goalkeeper Tim Melia - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo Midfielder Brad Davis Added to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifi - Houston Dynamo
- Independent Review Panel Rescinds Fine and Suspension Given to Joaquin Velazquez - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Four FC Dallas Players Currently on International Duty - FC Dallas
- D.C. United's Talon Reigns Supreme at FOX 5's Mascot Madness - D.C. United
- Chivas USA's Red Card Appeal Upheld - MLS
- D.C. United Sends Four to Richmond Kickers - D.C. United
- This Week in MLS - MLS
- Robbie Keane Aims to Take Ireland Back to the World Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Waive Midfielder Stinson - Toronto FC
- Red Bulls Sign Forward Peguy Luyindula - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.