Independent Review Panel Rescinds Fine and Suspension Given to Joaquin Velazquez
CARSON, Calif. (Tuesday, March 19, 2013) - Chivas USA today announced that an independent review panel has rescinded the fine and suspension that Red-and-White center back Joaquin Velazquez had received for a red card issued during Sunday's SuperClÃ¡sico. As a result, Velazquez is now eligible for selection for Chivas USA's first road match of the season this Sunday against the Chicago Fire.
In the 40th minute of last Sunday's first leg of the SuperClÃ¡sico, referee Ricardo Salazar showed a yellow card, then a red card, to Velasquez after a tackle on the Galaxy's Colin Clark (VIDEO ).
The Red-and-White organization submitted a petition for a review on the play, and the independent review panel concluded that the automatic fine and one-game suspension should be rescinded. The independent review panel consists of one representative from each of the following entities: U.S. Soccer Federation, Canadian Soccer Association, and Professional Referees Organization (PRO). For more on the red card review process, CLICK HERE .
Chivas USA next faces Eastern Conference opponent the Chicago Fire in its first road match of the season on Sunday, March 24, beginning at 2 p.m. (PT) at Toyota Park. The game will be broadcasted in Spanish on UniMas and can be heard on W Radio 690 AM. For more information please visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 19, 2013
- LA Galaxy Academy Names Dallas Cup Roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Sign Goalkeeper Alec Kann - Chicago Fire
- Bruce Arena Has Options to Fill Voids Left by International Call-Ups - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Re-Signs Goalkeeper Tim Melia - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo Midfielder Brad Davis Added to U.S. Men's National Team Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifi - Houston Dynamo
- Independent Review Panel Rescinds Fine and Suspension Given to Joaquin Velazquez - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Four FC Dallas Players Currently on International Duty - FC Dallas
- D.C. United's Talon Reigns Supreme at FOX 5's Mascot Madness - D.C. United
- Chivas USA's Red Card Appeal Upheld - MLS
- D.C. United Sends Four to Richmond Kickers - D.C. United
- This Week in MLS - MLS
- Robbie Keane Aims to Take Ireland Back to the World Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Waive Midfielder Stinson - Toronto FC
- Red Bulls Sign Forward Peguy Luyindula - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp