Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against AikFebruary 23, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
The Timbers put AIK under pressure the entire match, taking 22 shots and forcing AIK goalkeeper Ivan Turina to make 11 saves. But it was AIK who struck first, staking a 1-0 lead in the 28th minute on a goal by forward Henok Goitom. Portland's pressure eventually paid off 15 minutes from time when Harrington was able to deliver the equalizer to help the Timbers (3-2-2 preseason) cap preseason with a 1-1 draw.
Goitom gave AIK the lead just before the half hour, with a well-placed shot from inside the box. He was on the receiving end of a through ball down the left side of the penalty area and was able to get around Ricketts near the end line. Goitom then slipped a shot from a tight angle just inside the far post and into the side netting for the goal. It was AIK's first goal scored during the Portland Preseason Tournament.
The Timbers opened the second half with six consecutive shots on goal - all saved by Turina. In the 75th minute, Harrington was able to unlock the AIK defense to pull the Timbers level. He started the play with a pass to forward Darlington Nagbe deep in the box on the left side, and Nagbe returned a pass to Harrington cutting into the penalty area. Harrington then placed a sharply hit ball under Turina's diving effort and inside the right post. His strike was the only goal conceded by AIK during its three matches in Portland.
Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri took a team-high five shots, putting four of those on goal. In the 51st minute, he nearly struck for his second free-kick goal of the preseason, dropping a shot from 30 yards out on the left side at the base of the near post, but Turina was up for the task and made the save.
Ricketts recorded three of his four saves in the second half to keep AIK at bay. He tipped another shot by Goitom from inside the box over the crossbar in the 53rd minute and then made a diving save on a shot by midfielder Nabil Bahoui from close range five minutes later.
The Timbers thought to have secured the game-winning goal in second-half stoppage time as midfielder Will Johnson tapped the ball into the back of the net following a sequence of chances inside the box, but the goal was waived off due to an offside call.
The Timbers open their third Major League Soccer campaign on Sunday, March 3, as they play host to the New York Red Bulls at JELD-WEN Field, presented by Alaska Airlines, at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific) on ESPN2.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2013
- Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, Bengtson - New England Revolution
- Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against Aik - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC win 2013 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Beats Columbus 1-0 to Win the Disney Pro Classic - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final 0-1 to Seattle - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire claim Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Battery earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Mattocks scores fifth goal of preseason after Miller draws penalty kick - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Draw 1-1 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Routs the L.A. Blues, 5-1, in Preseason Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Venue Change for Sunday's Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Union Fall to United in Final Preseason Matchup - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC play to scoreless draw - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.