Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason
GOLETA, Calif. - The preseason is over for the LA Galaxy. The next time Bruce Arena's squad steps onto a stadium field, the games will count, starting with the regular season opener on March 3 against the Chicago Fire at The Home Depot Center.
LA ended their preseason in winning fashion with a 2-1 victory over the Colorado Rapids at Harder Stadium on the campus of U.C. Santa Barbara. A goal from Drew Moor put the Rapids ahead early in the first half, but LA responded with a pair of goals, first from Marcelo Sarvas in the 36th and then, the winner from Jack McBean in the 80th minute.
The match was their second against MLS competition as the club ends the preseason with a 5-1-1 record.
"It was a good game for both teams. The Galaxy and the Rapids got a lot out of it and it helped both teams prepare for the opening games of the season," said Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena. "Both coaches would say that it was good to give extended minutes to their starters."
Offering potential opening starters extended minutes was a primary aspect of the preseason finale as seven players went the distance for the Galaxy. LA's entire defense including Carlo Cudicini went the distance while Juninho and Robbie Keane both played the full 90 minutes.
With the preseason firmly behind his club and the home opener-and the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal series against Herediano -looming, Arena believes his club are well poised to start the season.
"It was a good preseason for us. We slowly moved our team forward and made a lot of progress and obviously, we're going to find out a lot more now as we start the season," said Arena. "I feel good about the fact that we've made progress. We've had a good healthy attitude with the guys, but once the season kicks off as they say "stuff happens" so we have to see where we are. But I think that we're mentally ready to start the season the right the way and that translates into some wins to start the season."
But will the Galaxy ready for March 3?
"We have to be don't we? We've got no choice to be honest with you," said Keane. "If we're not ready the other team will sure let us know. We have to be ready and the preseason has gone as well as it could have. We've won games and the most important thing is getting our fitness down. Tonight was a good exercise...it puts us in good stead for next week."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2013
- Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, Bengtson - New England Revolution
- Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against Aik - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC win 2013 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Beats Columbus 1-0 to Win the Disney Pro Classic - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final 0-1 to Seattle - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire claim Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Battery earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Mattocks scores fifth goal of preseason after Miller draws penalty kick - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Draw 1-1 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Routs the L.A. Blues, 5-1, in Preseason Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Venue Change for Sunday's Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Union Fall to United in Final Preseason Matchup - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC play to scoreless draw - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, New England Revolution 2 - Saturday, July 14, 2018
- LA Galaxy Foundation to Co-Host First Street Soccer USA Cup - Los Angeles
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer
- LA Galaxy begin a three-game road run with match Saturday in New England
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 4, Columbus Crew SC 0 - Saturday, July 7, 2018