Sounders FC play to scoreless draw
TUCSON, Ariz. - Seattle Sounders FC and Veracruz played to a scoreless draw Friday night in a preseason friendly at Kino Sports Complex. Seattle took on the Mexican side as a tune-up for their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal matchup with Tigres UANL.
Eddie Johnson and Mario Martinez each created a number of chances for Sounders FC. In the 7th minute, Johnson got behind the defense and shot past the keeper, but it hit the post and was cleared off the line.
In the 15th minute, Martinez was taken from behind on a scoring chance, resulting in a red card for Veracruz's Raul Rico. Mauro Rosales took the free kick and put it on frame, but the keeper parried it over the crossbar.
Johnson had another opportunity in the 24th minute when he got into the box on the left side, but his shot to the far post was saved by the leaping keeper.
In the 55th minute, Martinez missed wide of the far post on a left-footed shot from the top of the box. Four minutes later, they both got shots off in the box, but the second was cleared away for a corner.
Goalkeeper Michael Gspurning earned his first 90-minute clean sheet of the preseason. In the 78th minute, he made a diving save to his right and pawed away a dangerous shot, then made another big save in the 84th minute to keep the game scoreless.
Sounders FC plays in Desert Diamond Cup final tomorrow night against Real Salt Lake. Kickoff is at 5 p.m. PT on NBC Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2013
- Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, Bengtson - New England Revolution
- Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against Aik - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC win 2013 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Beats Columbus 1-0 to Win the Disney Pro Classic - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final 0-1 to Seattle - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire claim Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Battery earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Mattocks scores fifth goal of preseason after Miller draws penalty kick - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Draw 1-1 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Routs the L.A. Blues, 5-1, in Preseason Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Venue Change for Sunday's Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Union Fall to United in Final Preseason Matchup - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC play to scoreless draw - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Battles to 3-2 Victory in Houston, as Race for the 2018 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Heats Up
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Houston Dynamo - October 21, 2018
- Sounders FC Launches "Rave Green Certification" Sustainability Program for Washington State Schools
- Seattle Sounders FC Clinches 10th Consecutive Postseason Berth with 2-1 Win in Orlando, Equalling MLS Record
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Orlando City SC - October 17, 2018