Timbers Fall 1-0 to FC Dallas in PreseasonFebruary 21, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Portland Timbers
A corner kick from the right side led to the match's lone goal in the 16th minute. The ball deflected off a Timbers player near the left post and bounced free in the penalty area. Pérez was the first to the loose ball and drilled a shot from near the penalty spot into the top right corner of the goal.
The 1-0 lead by FC Dallas (5-0-1 preseason) marked just the third time this preseason in which Portland (3-2-1 preseason) trailed in a match.
The Timbers fielded a different starting lineup against FC Dallas from the lineup against the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday, with six different players making their first preseason starts. Portland had opportunities to find the equalizer in the second half, with non-roster players Frederic Piquionne and Michael Nanchoff each having close chances.
In the 56th minute, Piquionne was on the end of a cross from midfielder Rodney Wallace and headed the ball just wide of the left post. He then hit a rolling shot from the top right side of the penalty area that just skipped by the far post in the 69th minute.
Eight minutes from time, Nanchoff hit a curling free kick from just beyond the box around the FC Dallas wall, but it carried just wide of the left post.
The Timbers play host to Swedish first-division club AIK in their final preseason match Saturday to close out the Portland Preseason Tournament at JELD-WEN Field; kickoff is set for 5 p.m. (Pacific). Tickets are available for purchase through the JELD-WEN Field box office or online at www.portlandtimbers.com. A live stream of the match will be available at www.portlandtimbers.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2013
- Veteran Leaders Expected to Help Revs Close Games - New England Revolution
- Chivas USA Set for Preseason Finale on Saturday - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Formalize Fan Loyalty Program - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Ready for 2013 Preseason Finale against the Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Play in Nationally Televised FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Add Experienced Premier League Defender/Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire 2014, 2015 SuperDraft Picks from Vancouver - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Sign Goalkeeper Clint Irwin and Defender Kory Kindle - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Renews Association with Match Analysis - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Launch Chicago Fire Recreational Soccer Program - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Michael Nanchoff - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host "March to Soccer Week" Across Bay Area - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Olmes Garcia - Real Salt Lake
- Fagundez Shines Despite Revs' Frustrating Finish - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to FC Dallas in Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Late Goals Doom Revs - New England Revolution
- Desert Diamond Cup: Sounders FC 2 vs. New York Red Bulls 0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.