Timbers Sign Midfielder Michael Nanchoff
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers announced today the signing of midfielder Michael Nanchoff. Per league and club policy, terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Nanchoff, 24, played the last two seasons with Vancouver Whitecaps FC after being selected No. 8 overall by Vancouver in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. He had a standout collegiate career at the University of Akron, where he played under Timbers head coach Caleb Porter and was a member of the Zips' national title-winning team in 2010.
Nanchoff has been training with the Timbers since the start of preseason camp on Jan. 21, and has appeared in five preseason matches, recording one assist. Portland acquired the right of first refusal to Nanchoff from Whitecaps FC on Feb. 13.
A native of North Royalton, Ohio, Nanchoff appeared in 14 regular-season matches and was a regular contributor in MLS Reserve League games during his two seasons in Vancouver. He played in a career-high nine games last season after being limited to just five first-team appearances during his rookie campaign in 2011 due to injury. Additionally, Nanchoff recorded one goal and four assists in 15 matches with the Whitecaps FC Reserves.
Nanchoff played three collegiate seasons at Akron, where he was a two-time All-Mid-American first-team selection. He was a key contributor in the Zips' back-to-back appearances in the NCAA College Cup final in 2009 and 2010, and Akron's first national championship in 2010. Nanchoff recorded nine goals and nine assists in 25 games during his final collegiate season in 2010 and garnered NSCAA All-Great Lakes Second Team and NCAA College Cup All-Tournament Team honors. As a redshirt sophomore in 2009, Nanchoff ranked among the nation's leaders with 11 assists that season and finished among the Akron's top scorers in each of his final two seasons. In total, he played in 62 matches and recorded 15 goals and 22 assists during his collegiate career with the Zips.
When drafted by Whitecaps FC, Nanchoff was a member of Generation adidas and was one of an MLS-record five Akron players selected among the first eight picks in the 2011 SuperDraft.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 21, 2013
- Veteran Leaders Expected to Help Revs Close Games - New England Revolution
- Chivas USA Set for Preseason Finale on Saturday - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Formalize Fan Loyalty Program - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Ready for 2013 Preseason Finale against the Rapids - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake to Play in Nationally Televised FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup Final - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC Add Experienced Premier League Defender/Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Acquire 2014, 2015 SuperDraft Picks from Vancouver - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Sign Goalkeeper Clint Irwin and Defender Kory Kindle - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Renews Association with Match Analysis - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Launch Chicago Fire Recreational Soccer Program - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Sign Midfielder Michael Nanchoff - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host "March to Soccer Week" Across Bay Area - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Signs FW Olmes Garcia - Real Salt Lake
- Fagundez Shines Despite Revs' Frustrating Finish - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to FC Dallas in Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Late Goals Doom Revs - New England Revolution
- Desert Diamond Cup: Sounders FC 2 vs. New York Red Bulls 0 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.