Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Worcester, Game #47February 15, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Springfield Falcons
Friday, February 15, 2013
TICKETS: (413) 739-GOAL/MassMutual Center Box Office/Ticketmaster.com
RADIO: (presented by FalconsWireless.com) WHYN NewsTalk 560 AM/WHYN.com
IN JUST A FEW HOURS...
The Springfield Falcons commence a home three-in-three when they host the Worcester Sharks at the MassMutual Center at 7:00 p.m. The Falcons, who lead the Northeast Division by 13 points and are tied atop the Eastern Conference with the Binghamton Senators, began the week on Tuesday in Bridgeport by battling back from a two-goal, third-period deficit before submitting to the Sound Tigers in overtime, 4-3. Tomas Kubalik's goal with 41 seconds remaining in regulation helped the Falcons collect a point for the fourth-straight game (3-0-1-0). Ryan Johansen and Nick Drazenovic also scored for Springfield. The Falcons play a team for the second-straight game tonight coming off of a long layoff. Worcester has not played since Feb. 6 due to Winter Storm Nemo, while Bridgeport had not played in 10 days prior to Tuesday's contest as a result of the weather as well.
Fans attending tonight's game, presented by Comcast, will have the opportunity to win a brand new, high-definition television courtesy of Manny's TV & Appliances as part of "Flat-Screen Friday." As part of USA Hockey's "Hockey Weekend Across America," the Falcons encourage all fans to wear their favorite hockey jersey to The Nest tonight.
Tonight's broadcast is presented by FalconsWireless.com and starts at 6:58 p.m. on WHYN 560 AM, WHYN.com, the iHeartRadio App, or AHLLive.com.
On Saturday, when Springfield welcomes Portland back to the Pioneer Valley, the first 1,000 fans into the building will receive a Falcons winter hat, courtesy of Health New England. Fans can also win a free bicycle from Gus Coelho Auto Repair at 442 Holyoke St. in Ludlow as part of "Cycle Saturday."
The Falcons will hold their annual team poster giveaway, courtesy of Friendly's, on Sunday versus the Adirondack Phantoms. Following the action, fans are invited to participate in a postgame skate, presented by Western New England University, before having their posters signed by Falcons players in the MassMutual Center concourse.
Saturday's game begins at 7:00 p.m. Sunday's contest starts at 3:00 p.m.
Single-game tickets to see the Falcons in 2012-2013 can be purchased at the MassMutual Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. through game time on Saturday home dates, and starting four hours prior to Sunday home contests. Fans can also purchase tickets by logging onto Ticketmaster.com. For information about discounted group packages to Falcons home games, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
BUSY WEEKEND LOOMS
Springfield plays its seventh of 12 three-in-three sequences this weekend. The Falcons swept their most recent three-in-three from Jan. 18 to 20, and are 10-4-2-2 in games falling during a three-in-three in 2012-2013.
RED-HOT DRAZENOVIC EARNS RECALL
Nick Drazenovic tied Jonathan Audy-Marchessault and Ryan Johansen for second on the Falcons with his 16th goal on Tuesday night. Drazenovic has points in five-straight games (3g-5a), leads the AHL with 26 power-play points (9g-17a), and earned his first recall of the season to Columbus on Wednesday.
COUNT ON KUBALIK
Tomas Kubalik scored his second game-tying goal in the final minute of regulation this season on Tuesday. The third-year pro also tied Springfield's game up in Worcester on Jan. 11 at 19:02 of the third period. Kubalik leads the Falcons at +17.
CAPTAIN LENDS HELPING HAND
Ryan Craig upped his road assist streak to six games on Tuesday (0g-10a). He has assists in each away contest since Jan. 15. Craig is a helper on Feb. 23 shy of equaling the longest road assist streak in the league this season. Springfield's captain is on a five-game overall assist streak (2g-5a), the longest by a Falcon in 2012-2013.
OTHER STREAKS PROLONGED
Ryan Johansen has goals in four-straight AHL games dating back to Jan. 6 (4g-2a), while Wade MacLeod is on a four-game point streak (1g-4a).
IS IT OVER YET?
Since winning in sudden-death overtime against Worcester on Nov. 16, 2011, the Falcons have dropped their last seven decisions in the extra session. Springfield is 0-4 in overtime this season and is 2-3 in shootouts. The Falcons are one of three AHL clubs, along with Albany and Hamilton, without an overtime win this season.
NEARING AN ALL-TIME HIGH
The Falcons, currently 17 games over .500, are nearing their all-time high water mark. Springfield's franchise record for games above .500 within one season is 21, set when the Falcons defeated the Rochester Americans on Apr. 13, 1996 to claim a record of 42-21-10-5. The Falcons, who have led the Northeast Division since play ended on Oct. 26, are on pace to collect 46 wins and 104 points, both of which would be franchise records.
AT THE TOP
Springfield's +43 goal differential is the highest in the AHL.
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2013
- Griffins' Mettle Shines in 5-3 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Bulldogs Bite Bears 3-2 in a Shootout - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Heat Lose 4-1 To Rivermen In Peoria - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall in OT to Milwaukee, 5-4 - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Freeze Heat 4-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Monarchs Melt IceCaps - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Crunched by Syracuse, 7-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Amerks Fall to Houston on Hall of Fame Night - Rochester Americans
- Penalty-Killing Perfection By Joudrey, Russell Propels Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Whale take victory - Connecticut Whale
- Monsters Lose Lead Twice Before Losing Game - Lake Erie Monsters
- IceCaps Downed by Monarchs - St. John's IceCaps
- Sharks Hit Road Block in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Crunch Dominate Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Bobkov, Admirals Stonewall Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bruins Rout Sound Tigers 7-3 - Providence Bruins
- Devils Drop Decision at Adirondack - Albany Devils
- Bruins Power Past Sound Tigers 7-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Aeros Win Fourth Straight, Hand Americans 3-1 Loss - Houston Aeros
- Bobkov, Penalty Kill Lead Admirals to Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Penguins Lend Their Support to Beads of Courage - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rangers Assign Forward Chris Kreider to Connecticut - Connecticut Whale
- Syracuse Crunch to Host 'Fear the Beard Night' - Syracuse Crunch
- Eddy Recalled by Heat - Abbotsford Heat
- Karlsson Recalled to Chicago, Hogs Add Three - Rockford IceHogs
- Nashville Predators Send McGrattan to Milwaukee on Conditioning Assignment - Milwaukee Admirals
- B-Sens Sign Forward David Marshall to PTO - Binghamton Senators
- Nyquist to Detroit, Coetzee to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Set to Host "You Can Play" Night - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Senators Recall Three Players from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Worcester, Game #47 - Springfield Falcons
- Wolves Earn Point But Fall to Checkers 4-3 in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.