Red Bulls Sign Defender Dax McCarty to New ContractFebruary 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New York Red Bulls
"We are delighted to sign Dax to an extended contract, as he is a very important player for this club," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "As a talented, American player, Dax is part of the heart and soul of this team and we are looking forward to once again having him contribute to the Red Bulls and our campaign."
McCarty, 25, is coming off a strong 2012 season in his first full year as a Red Bull. Featuring mainly as a central midfielder, McCarty started in 33 of 34 regular season games, notching three goals and three assists. He also started in New York's two playoff games. The Winter Park, FL native joined New York on June 27, 2011 from D.C. United in exchange for midfielder Dwayne De Rosario. Between his time in D.C. and New York, McCarty amassed 29 appearances, 25 starts and six assists.
Before heading to United, McCarty played five seasons for FC Dallas and was an important part of his team's run to the 2010 MLS Cup Final. That year, McCarty featured in 21 matches, tallying one goal and two assists while establishing himself as one of the top young midfielders in MLS. He also played in FC Dallas' four postseason games.
In 2009, McCarty had a breakout season, notching three goals and six assists in 28 games played. Drafted in the first round of the 2006 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of North Carolina. He recorded 93 appearances, 71 starts, five goals and 17 assists over five seasons with FC Dallas.
On the international level, McCarty has earned five caps for the United States and made his senior team debut on Nov. 14, 2009 against Slovakia. McCarty has also represented his country on the Under-20 level, where he appeared in all five games in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2007 and was a member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team that competed in Beijing. He was a part of the U.S. Under-17 Residency Program.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2013
- LA Galaxy defeat USL Pro's L.A. Blues 3-0 in preseason game - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Ties Chicago, 1-1, in Its Third Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Extends Broadcast Partnership with Sports Radio 810 WHB - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Draw Chivas USA 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Brent Richards Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Opportunity Knocks for Second-Year Forward Imbongo - New England Revolution
- Preseason Training Game: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Defeat Sounders FC 1-0 in Preseason Play - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Development Academy Teams to be Fully Funded by Club - Colorado Rapids
- Three Impact Players with Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Preseason Knock No Big Deal for Soares - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Create Academy Alliance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United Finalizes All Times for 34-Game Regular-Season - D.C. United
- MLS, TSN and RDS Announce 2013 Regular Season National Broadcast Schedule for Canada - MLS
- Montreal Impact Unveils Its 2013 Broadcast Schedule - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Sign Defender Dax McCarty to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Single Game Tickets on Sale this Week - Colorado Rapids
- The Impact Soccer Schools at Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.