Chicago Fire Draw Chivas USA 1-1 in Preseason Friendly
CARSON, Calif. (Feb. 5, 2013) - The Chicago Fire played to a 1-1 draw with Chivas USA Tuesday in MLS preseason action at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. SuperDraft pick Yazid Atouba scored the equalizer in the 52nd minute of an extended preseason friendly that was played in periods of 45 minutes, 30 minutes and 30 minutes. It was Atouba's second goal in two consecutive matches. The 30th overall pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft scored in the Fire's previous match, a 2-1 loss to the Columbus Crew Jan. 30.
Chivas USA opened scoring in the 39th minute when U.S. International Juan Agudelo led the Chivas USA counterattack. Agudelo played the ball into the box for Miller Bolaños. The Ecuadorian midfielder placed his shot just out of reach of Fire 'keeper Paolo Tornaghi to give the hosts the 1-0 advantage.
Fire Head Coach Frank Klopas inserted Atouba into the lineup at halftime and the move paid immediate dividends. In the 52nd minute Chris Rolfe found Atouba on the left wing. The Cameroonian Youth International dribbled the ball into the box and chipped the ball over Chivas USA goalkeeper Tim Melia and into the goal for the equalizer.
In the 61st minute the Fire made seven changes and used the remainder of the match to evaluate draft picks and trialists. A total of 25 players participated in the club's third preseason match.
The Fire continue to train in California for the duration of the week before a doubleheader against UC Santa Barbara (6:00 p.m. CT) and 2012 MLS Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes (8:00 p.m. CT) at Harder Stadium in Santa Barbara, Calif. on Saturday, Feb. 9. Tickets for the doubleheader are $12 for adults and $8 for youth.
The Fire will return to Chicago on Sunday and will have two days off before heading to Charleston, S.C. for the Carolina Challenge Cup on Feb. 13.
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Night against the New England Revolution on Saturday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m. CT (NBC Sports Network), while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2013
- LA Galaxy defeat USL Pro's L.A. Blues 3-0 in preseason game - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Ties Chicago, 1-1, in Its Third Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Extends Broadcast Partnership with Sports Radio 810 WHB - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Draw Chivas USA 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Brent Richards Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Opportunity Knocks for Second-Year Forward Imbongo - New England Revolution
- Preseason Training Game: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Defeat Sounders FC 1-0 in Preseason Play - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Development Academy Teams to be Fully Funded by Club - Colorado Rapids
- Three Impact Players with Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Preseason Knock No Big Deal for Soares - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Create Academy Alliance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United Finalizes All Times for 34-Game Regular-Season - D.C. United
- MLS, TSN and RDS Announce 2013 Regular Season National Broadcast Schedule for Canada - MLS
- Montreal Impact Unveils Its 2013 Broadcast Schedule - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Sign Defender Dax McCarty to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Single Game Tickets on Sale this Week - Colorado Rapids
- The Impact Soccer Schools at Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.