LA Galaxy U-18's to Play in Gordon Jago Super Group at Dallas Cup XXXIVJanuary 9, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy
This year, Dallas Cup XXXIV is being held from March 24-31 at the Cotton Bowl, Richland College and the University of Texas at Dallas. The Gordon Jago Super Group is an invitation-only, 12-team competition that will include the Academies from English clubs Manchester United and Fulham FC, Mexican clubs Club America and Tigres UANL, Brazilian clubs Coritiba FC and Fluminense FC, German club Eintracht Frankfurt, Aalborg BK from Denmark, Kashiwa Reysol of Japan and Toronto FC as well as the Dallas Texans SC, a local club that produced Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez and a host of MLS stars.
The exact date, times and location of the games involving the Galaxy Academy will be announced at a later date.
"Given the high level of competition this tournament annually attracts, we are both honored and excited to be participating in the Gordon Jago Super Group at the 2013 Dr. Pepper Dallas Cup," said LA Galaxy Vice President Chris Klein. "This speaks volumes of the level of talent and success our Academy has achieved since its inception five years ago. We look forward to competing against some of the best Academies from around the world at the Dallas Cup."
The Galaxy Academy U-18's are currently in first place in the West Division of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy with a record of 8-1-1 while taking 25 of a possible 30 points. Forwards Paul Arriola, Justin Dhillon and Jack McBean, who signed with the club in January 2011 and has won two MLS Cup championships as a professional, along with defender Oscar Sorto, who signed as a Homegrown Player last month, lead the team in scoring, combining for 15 of their 29 goals. McBean and Sorto are two of the four Homegrown Players on the Galaxy roster, along with forwards Jose Villarreal, who won MLS Cup with the Galaxy last season, and Gyasi Zardes, who signed with the Galaxy in December after starring at CSU Bakersfield.
Since 1980, the Dallas Cup has hosted teams from 45 states, 100 countries and six continents. Notable stars that have played at the youth tournament in the past include former Galaxy midfielder David Beckham, current Galaxy players Landon Donovan and Gonzalez, the 2012 MLS Cup MVP, as well as Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney, current Mexican national team stars Giovanni Dos Santos and Rafa Marquez, former Real Madrid forward Raul and many more. For more information about Dallas Cup and its history, please visit www.dallascup.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2013
- FC Dallas Signs Maryland Standout London Woodberry to Homegrown Deal - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy U-18's to Play in Gordon Jago Super Group at Dallas Cup XXXIV - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Rapids Release 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Colorado Rapids
- Crew Unveils 2013 Major League Soccer Regular Season Schedule - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Releases 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Toronto FC
- 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule Unveiled - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Release Full 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Releases Schedule for 2013 MLS Season - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces 2013 Regular Season Schedule - MLS
- D.C. United Announces 2013 Major League Soccer Schedule - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Reveals 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Chicago Fire
- Impact to Kick off the Season in Seattle and Portland - Montreal Impact
- Major League Soccer Announces 2013 Houston Dynamo Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Announces 2013 Regular-Season Schedule - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Whitecaps FC 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule Announced - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Unveils 2013 MLS Regular Season Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Announce 2013 Regular Season Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces 2013 Regular Season Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC 2013 Schedule Announced by MLS - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Announce 2013 MLS Schedule - Portland Timbers
- 2013 Revolution Schedule Unveiled - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Signs Young Brazilian Striker Rafael on Loan as Designated Player - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.