Grant Scores Game Winner in Rangers 4-1 VictoryDecember 13, 2012 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) - Kitchener Rangers Press Release
Rangers centre Domenic Alberga opened the scoring with a power play tally at the nine minute mark. The overage forward snapped a wrist shot through traffic from the top of the faceoff circle, beating Windsor netminder Jaroslav Pavelka for his third of the season. Defenceman Evan McEneny and former Spitfire Nick Czinder were credited with the assists.
Kitchener out-shot Windsor 17-16 through the opening period of play.
The Spitfires pulled even early in the second, scoring 59 seconds into the frame. Chris Marchese capitalized on Windsor's odd-man rush, converting a pass from Ben Johnson into his ninth of the season.
Kitchener quickly got the goal back, jumping ahead 2-1 just 35 seconds later. Keli Grant potted his first OHL goal of the season after being called up from the Junior B Kitchener Dutchmen. Rookie Darby Llewellyn picked up his fifth point of the year with an assist, while rearguard Cory Genovese's helper was his second point in as many games.
The Rangers took a two-goal lead near the midway point of the game. Sophomore centre Curtis Meighan stripped the puck from a Windsor skater and beat Pavelka for his second of the season. The unassisted goal came at 9:52.
The Spitfires led shots on goal 13-12 in the second period.
Czinder's first of the season put the Rangers ahead 4-1 with 58 seconds remaining on the clock. With Kitchener on the power play, Brent Pedersen fired a shot that bounced over Pavelka and landed behind him in the crease. The overage forward was there to bury the puck in the open side of the net. Meighan earned his second point of the night with an assist on the play.
The Rangers out-shot Windsor 9-5 in the final frame and finished with a 38-34 overall advantage. John Gibson made 33 saves in his first start since November 27.
1. KIT D. Alberga, (3) (E. McEneny, N. Czinder), 9:00 (PP)
2. WSR C. Marchese, (9) (B. Johnson), 0:59
2. KIT K. Grant, (1) (D. Llewellyn, C. Genovese), 1:34
2. KIT C. Meighan, (2) (unassisted), 9:52
3. KIT N. Czinder, (1) (B. Pedersen, C. Meighan), 19:02 (PP)
1. KIT - 15 Ben Thomson
2. KIT - 35 John Gibson
3. WSR - 12 Ben Johnson
The Rangers return to the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium on Friday, December 14 for a 7:30pm game against the Erie Otters, the final home contest before the holiday break. Tickets to Rangers home games are available by phone at 519-578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, via the internet at www.centre-square.com or in person at the Centre In the Square Box Office or the Kitchener Auditorium Box Office.
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2012
- Canada's National Junior Team Named for 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship - OHL
- Generals Take Solid Road Win - Oshawa Generals
- Spitfires Drop 4-1 Decision To Undermanned Rangers - Windsor Spitfires
- IceDogs Fall 4-2 to Erie - Niagara IceDogs
- Grant Scores Game Winner in Rangers 4-1 Victory - Kitchener Rangers
- Crisp's Hat Trick Leads Otters to 4-2 Win - Erie Otters
- Murphy Named to Team Canada Roster - Kitchener Rangers
- Bulls to Collect Charitable Food Donations - Belleville Bulls
- Petes and Frontenacs Complete Trade - Peterborough Petes
- Frontenacs Acquire Hietkamp from Petes - Kingston Frontenacs
- Pre-Game Notes December 14 - Ottawa 67's
- OHL Announces Academic Players of the Month for November - OHL
- Nearly 1,200 Bears and Plush Toys Donated to Toy Drive - Kingston Frontenacs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.