Union Sign Defender Jeff ParkeDecember 7, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Philadelphia Union
"We are excited to have Jeff join our team.", said team manager John Hackworth. "He is one of the top center backs in the League. His character and experiences as both a person and a player will definitely be welcomed in our locker room."
Parke, 30, played two seasons in Seattle after being signed in 2010 but was initially selected by Sounders FC in the 2008 MLS Expansion Draft after he was left unprotected following five seasons in New York. Parke made himself a mainstay in the Sounders' starting lineup, appearing in 78 matches over three seasons. In a central defender role, Parke was instrumental in Seattle's three straight MLS playoff appearances. Most of his MLS career was spent as defender in New York, after being selected as the final pick in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft.
"It is a dream come true to be able to come home and play in front of my hometown fans and the Union faithful," noted Jeff Parke. " I'm thrilled to join the organization and get started with the next chapter of my career."
Parke, a native of Abington who played college soccer at Drexel, is a Philadelphia original. He led area soccer power Downingtown West High School to back-to-back PIAA state championships and played for famed youth club and Union youth affiliate, FC DELCO.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 7, 2012
- Sounders FC Announces Team Award Recipients - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United, Maicon Santos Part Ways - D.C. United
- Maicon Santos Selected by Chicago Fire in Re-Entry Process Stage One Draft - MLS
- Chicago Fire Select Forward Maicon Santos in Stage-One Draft of MLS Re-Entry Process - Chicago Fire
- Galaxy Working to Bring Juninho Back for 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Impact Exercises Option on 11 Players - Montreal Impact
- Jeff Parke Traded to Philadelphia Union - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Sign Defender Jeff Parke - Philadelphia Union
- Crew Re-Signs Midfielder Tony Tchani - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.