Chicago Fire Select Forward Maicon Santos in Stage-One Draft of MLS Re-Entry Process
CHICAGO, Ill. (Dec. 7, 2012) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced Friday afternoon that it has selected forward Maicon Santos in the Stage-One draft of the 2012 MLS Re-Entry process. In four MLS seasons the Brazilian forward has tallied 21 goals and added eight assists.
"We are pleased to add Maicon Santos to our roster ahead of the 2013 season," said President of Soccer Operations Javier Leon. "Maicon is a talented forward who brings with him a scoring touch and MLS experience."
In 2012, Santos made 26 appearances for D.C. United, scored seven goals and added three assists over 1,470 minutes, helping D.C. United reach the Eastern Conference Final. Santos started and played the full 90 minutes of D.C. United's 3-1 loss to the Houston Dynamo in the first leg of the Eastern Conference Final Nov. 11.
A product of Paracambi, Brazil, Santos made his professional debut with Rio de Janeiro based Madureira Esporte Clube in 2004. His career included stops in Tunisia, Libya and Israel before he joined MLS when he signed with Chivas USA in 2009. In two seasons with the Goats, Santos made 19 appearances, scored two goals and added one assist.
In 2010, Santos joined Toronto FC where he played 32 matches over the course of two seasons, scoring ten goals and adding three assists from 2010-11.
Santos joined FC Dallas for the second half of the 2011 season and scored two goals and added one assist across 11 games.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 7, 2012
- Sounders FC Announces Team Award Recipients - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United, Maicon Santos Part Ways - D.C. United
- Maicon Santos Selected by Chicago Fire in Re-Entry Process Stage One Draft - MLS
- Chicago Fire Select Forward Maicon Santos in Stage-One Draft of MLS Re-Entry Process - Chicago Fire
- Galaxy Working to Bring Juninho Back for 2013 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Impact Exercises Option on 11 Players - Montreal Impact
- Jeff Parke Traded to Philadelphia Union - Seattle Sounders FC
- Union Sign Defender Jeff Parke - Philadelphia Union
- Crew Re-Signs Midfielder Tony Tchani - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.