Blazers Down Broncos 2-1December 5, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Kamloops Blazers
The Blazers played a solid first period. They were hard on the forecheck and creating chances in the early going. The Blazers had a power play in the final two minutes of the period and created a ton of chances. Tim Bozon, JC Lipon and Colin Smith were all robbed by goaltender Eetu Laurikainen who earned a second star for his efforts on the night. The game was scoreless after the first period as the Blazers held an 11-6 advantage on the shot clock.
The Broncos opened the scoring in the second period. A shot on the power play by Adam Lowry was blocked, but the rebound came back to him and his shot was tipped by goaltender Cole Cheveldave by Coda Gordon to make it 1-0 Broncos. The Blazers had two power plays in the period including a lengthy four-minute power play to end the period. Charles Inglis was denied twice on a pair of incredible saves by Laurikainen. The Blazers were getting pucks to the net but could not seem to finish. The game stayed 1-0 for the Broncos through two periods.
In the third period, the Blazers got two great saves from goaltender Cole Cheveldave. Cheveldave turned aside two great shots as the Blazers continued to trail 1-0. Credit to the Blazers as they didn't get frustrated and stuck to their game plan from start to finish. They were finally rewarded with 1:44 to play as Tim Bozon set up Colin Smith in front and Smith re-directed it home for his 22nd goal of the season. Only 31 seconds later JC Lipon made a great effort to chip a puck to Bozon. Bozon was patient and fed Sam Grist on the rush. Grist scored on a wrist shot as Colin Smith went directly to the net to screen Laurikainen, who had no chance at making the save. With the win, the Blazers continue to be tied with Portland at the top of the WHL overall standings with 47 points.
The Blazers outshot the Broncos 32-16 in the game as Cole Cheveldave made 15 saves while Laurikainen turned aside 30 shots. The Broncos were 1-for-3 on the power play, while the Blazers finished 0-for-4.
The Blazers will play their last game before the Christmas break Friday, December 7th as they host the Prince George Cougars.
Western Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2012
- Pats Fall to Red Deer 5-1 - Regina Pats
- Cougars Captain Brock Hirsche Announces Retirement from WHL - Prince George Cougars
- Tigers Donate $5000.00 in Scholarships to 40th Hockey Hound Bantam Tournament - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blazers Name Willick as Captain - Kamloops Blazers
- Trevor Linden Returns to Medicine Hat this Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Broncos Call up Gawdin - Swift Current Broncos
- Teddy Bear Night Saturday, December 8th - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Jordan Eberle Honoured Tonight - Regina Pats
- Pats vs Red Deer Rebels Gameday Preview - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Lose Heartbreaker in Portland - Everett Silvertips
- Blazers Down Broncos 2-1 - Kamloops Blazers
- Brendan Leipsic Nets Four Goals in 7-5 Winterhawks Win over Everett - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.