Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Wins League Scoring TitleSeptember 24, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Atlanta Dream
The WNBA presents the Peak Performer awards annually to the players who lead the league in scoring, rebounding and assists during the regular season. Each player will receive a trophy crafted by Tiffany in honor of her accomplishments.
McCoughtry earned her first Peak Performer award for scoring after averaging 21.4 points per game in 2012. The four-year veteran averaged more than 20 points per game for the third straight year and shot 45 percent from the floor. The Louisville product scored 20 or more points in 18 of her 24 games this season, including a season-high 33 against Chicago on June 2. Her career average of 19.0 points per game ranks her fourth all-time in the league.
McCoughtry was the runner-up in the scoring race last year when she averaged 21.6 points, losing the title to Phoenix's Diana Taurasi by less than a tenth of a point. This season, she outdistanced the Mercury's DeWanna Bonner, who was second with an average of 20.6 points per game.
In the steals race, McCoughtry held off her teammate, Sancho Lyttle, who won the league's steals title last year. McCoughtry averaged 2.50 steals per game, while Lyttle was second at 2.4. However, Lyttle, who played in all 34 games, broke McCoughtry's franchise record for steals in a season, finishing with a league-high 82.
McCoughtry became just the second player in WNBA history to lead the league in scoring and steals in the same season, joining Sheryl Swoopes, who accomplished the feat in 2000.
The other WNBA Peak Performer Awards went to Tina Charles (Connecticut Sun) and Lindsay Whalen (Minnesota Lynx), who led the league in rebounding and assists, respectively.
The two-time defending Eastern Conference champion Atlanta Dream (19-15) opens its Eastern Conference Semifinals series against Indiana (22-12) on Friday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m. ET in Indianapolis. The Dream will host Game 2 at Philips Arena on Sunday, Sept. 30, at 4 p.m. ET. Tickets for the game, which will be televised live on ESPN2, can be purchased by calling (877) 977-7729 or visiting www.AtlantaDream.net.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 24, 2012
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Week - Los Angeles Sparks
- Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Wins League Scoring Title - Atlanta Dream
- Lindsay Whalen Captures WNBA Peak Performer Honor for Second Consecutive Season - Minnesota Lynx
- Angel McCoughtry, Tina Charles and Lindsay Whalen Capture 2012 WNBA Peak Performer Honors - WNBA
- Mystics, Lacey to Part Ways - Washington Mystics
- Sun's Charles and Sparks' Parker Named Players of the Week - WNBA
- New York Liberty Extend Contract of Cappie Pondexter - New York Liberty
- Chicago, Phoenix, Tulsa, Washington to Vie for Top Pick in WNBA Draft - WNBA
- Sophia Young Signs Contract Extension - San Antonio Silver Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.