Heredia Shuts Down Scrappers as Spikes Take 5-0 Win in Season FinaleSeptember 5, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) State College Spikes
Heredia (4-2), making his final start in a State College (35-41) uniform, gave up a walk to Logan Vick in the second inning, a single to Dorssys Paulino in the fourth, and a double to Jeremy Lucas in the fifth, but retired each of the other 15 batters he faced. The 18-year-old right-hander struck out five batters in the game, setting a new career-high mark for strikeouts in a single game.
The Spikes' offense bolstered Heredia with a strong offensive effort, which got rolling in the second inning. Samuel Gonzalez led off the frame with a single and then went to second on Dilson Herrera's bunt single. Jesus Vasquez followed with the first of two doubles to plate the game's opening run. Eric Wood then brought in another run with a sacrifice fly to left field to give State College a two-run lead.
In the fourth inning, the Spikes built onto their lead when Vasquez and Wood delivered back-to-back two-base hits to make the score 3-0. Walker Gourley's leadoff double in the fifth inning led to another State College run on Chris Diaz's RBI single, with Gourley's third double of the game scoring the final Spikes marker in the sixth inning.
Gourley finished the night 3-for-4 with a run scored and a run batted in to go with his trio of two-baggers. Vasquez went 3-for-3 with two runs scored and one knocked in, along with a walk and his two doubles.
Kevin Kleis hurled two three-hit innings in the sixth and seventh, striking out three to continue the shutout. Bryton Trepagnier and John Kuchno then added a scoreless frame apiece, with Kuchno striking out one, to seal State College's seventh shutout victory of the year.
Luis Morel (2-6) started and took the loss for Mahoning Valley (30-45) after yielding four runs on nine hits and striking out five.
Paulino and Lucas were the lone Scrappers with multiple hits in the game.
The Spikes finished the 2012 season 19-18 at home. Diaz and Gourley each finished the year tied for the New York-Penn League lead in sacrifice bunts with nine apiece.
To find out more about season tickets, mini-plans, flex books and a variety of different group packages and experiences for the 2013 season, call the Spikes at (814) 272-1711 or toll-free at (877) 99-SPIKES. Additional team and ticket information can also be viewed by visiting StateCollegeSpikes.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from September 5, 2012
- 'Gades Declaw ValleyCats 3-2 in Regular Season Finale - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Heredia Shuts Down Scrappers as Spikes Take 5-0 Win in Season Finale - State College Spikes
- Crosscutters Win Season Finale - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Yankees Win Season Finale - Connecticut Tigers
- Spinners End Season on High Note, 5-3 - Lowell Spinners
- Vermont Ends 2012 Season With 4-0 Win Over Aberdeen - Vermont Lake Monsters
- IronBirds Blanked in Season Finale - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Name 2012 Year-End Award Winners Prior to Season Finale - State College Spikes
- State College Spikes Game Notes - September 5 vs. Mahoning Valley - State College Spikes
- Doubledays Clinch Pinckney Division with 9-7 Win - Auburn Doubledays
- ValleyCats Set New Franchise Records - Tri-City ValleyCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.