Wingnuts Take Close Game from El PasoAugust 13, 2012 - American Association (AA) Wichita Wingnuts
Derek Blacksher did not allow an earned run over seven strong innings to notch his eighth win of the season, while C.J. Ziegler homered and had two RBI in his return to the Wingnuts' lineup.
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the second, Ziegler and David Peralta hit back-to-back singles to put runners on first and second with no outs. Jessie Mier laid down a sacrifice bunt attempt to the left of the mound that was barehanded by Diablos' starter Luis Chirinos. Chirinos picked up a force on Ziegler at third base, but Reid Fronk's double play attempt at first sailed into foul territory and allowed Peralta to score the tying run.
Ziegler crushed a home run to left-center leading off the bottom of the fourth to give Wichita its first lead of the night. Peralta and Mier followed with singles. A Chirinos wild pitch scored Peralta from third base.
The Diablos cut the lead to 3-2 in the top of the eighth on a two-out, RBI single to right from Jermy Acey. El Paso eventually had the tying and go-ahead runs in scoring position with two outs before Nick Walters retired Zane Chavez on a line drive to left-center.
Wichita responded in the bottom half after there were two outs and no one on base. Wilson Batista was hit by a pitch, stole second, and came home on a groundball single to center by Ziegler.
El Paso scored the game's first run in the top of the second. Acey led off with a double and scored two batters later on a throwing error by Jake Kahaulelio.
Blacksher allowed just the unearned run on five hits. Blacksher walked one, struck out four, and retired eight consecutive hitters from the second through the fourth.
Josh Dew worked a perfect top of the ninth to earn his seventh save.
Chirinos took the loss, allowing three runs, two earned, on six hits over seven innings. Chirinos walked one and struck out six.
Peralta finished the game with three hits, a run scored, and a stolen base.
The series continues on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. Ryan Hinson faces right-hander Reyes Dorado. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
American Association Stories from August 13, 2012
- One Out Rally Sparks RedHawks 5-3 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Lone Error Proves Costly - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Take Close Game from El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wingnuts Use 1-2 Punch To End Diablos' Three Game Winning Streak - El Paso Diablos
- Ruwe Goes the Distance as Saints Win 5-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Ruwe, Saints Shut Down RailCats in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Reload for Stretch Run - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hodsdon Named Pitcher of the Week - El Paso Diablos
- Karr's 11th-Inning Blast Completes Laredo Comeback - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Hodsdon Shuts Down X's Again - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.