Hawks Hampered by Errors in 7-5 LossAugust 7, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Francisco Valera (4-3) earned the win out of the Captains bullpen, hurling two scoreless innings. Alex Capaul (1-3) was saddled with the loss, surrendering two earned runs on three hits over two innings.
With the game tied 5-5 in the eighth inning, Lake County's Leonardo Castillo hit a go-ahead two-run home run for the Captains. Manny Carmona retired the side in the ninth inning to earn his first save of the season.
The Silver Hawks trailed 5-1 entering the fifth inning. Ryan Court pulled the Silver Hawks to within a run with a three-run home run to right field, his sixth of the season. In the sixth inning, Niko Gallego hit a game-tying RBI triple.
Andrew Barbosa started the game for South Bend and did not factor in the decision, allowing five runs, three earned, on eight hits over six innings. The left-hander struck seven batters for the third straight outing. Left-hander Elvis Araujo got the nod for the Captains and allowed five earned runs on seven hits over six innings.
With the game tied 1-1 in the third inning, the Captains scored three runs on a sacrifice bunt from Jose Ramirez. With runners on first and second, Ramirez placed a bunt that induced a pair of throwing errors - one from Bryan Henry and other from Chris Ellison. Three runs, including Ramirez, scored on the play.
The Silver Hawks travel to Bowling Green to begin a three-game series against the Hot Rods. Right-hander Archie Bradley (9-5, 3.90) starts for South Bend and he will be opposed by left-hander Ryan Carpenter (10-5, 3.74). First pitch Wednesday is slated for 7:35 p.m. EST. The Silver Hawks return home on Saturday, August 11, to take on the Lake County Captains. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 7, 2012
- Snappers Top Rattlers 10-4 - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers Rout Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Whitecaps Rally Late For Extra-Inning Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Win 5-3 Tuesday as Peralta Strikes out 14 - Peoria Chiefs
- Bees Drop Game Four to Bandits, 6-3 - Burlington Bees
- LumberKings Fall Short of Sweep in Peoria - Clinton LumberKings
- Whitecaps stun Meyer, Lugnuts in 10 innings - Lansing Lugnuts
- River Bandits Rally Late to Take Finale against Bees, 6-3 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fort Wayne Earns Split with 7-3 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Smith Sharp as Cougars Blank Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- Segovia Homers Again But Hot Rods Fall - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hawks Hampered by Errors in 7-5 Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Castillo Crushes Game Winner - Lake County Captains
- Smith Back in the Mix - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for August 7 - Dayton Dragons
- Hot Rods Homestand Notes for August 8-10 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights August 8 Through August 13 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Big inning lifts Kane County past Kernels, 5-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.