Salem Splits Two Thursday Decisions at PotomacAugust 3, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Salem Red Sox
After late-night rain wiped out the middle-game of the series on Wednesday, the two squads resumed play in the bottom of the ninth inning on Thursday, shortly after five o'clock with the score tied at three. Potomac used two walks and a wild pitch to put runners at second and third with one out, and the Nationals needed only a base hit or sac fly to quickly win the game. But when Adrian Sanchez grounded to third, the runner Jason Martinson hesitated, and he was tagged out by Michael Almanzar, who then threw to first to complete a game-saving 5-3 double play. With Bogaerts' gap-slicing double in the top of the tenth, the Red Sox surged in front and made a winner of Will Latimer, who tossed two scoreless innings in his first appearance with Salem in 2012.
In the regularly scheduled game, Salem collected a walk, a hit-by-pitch, and a single in the first inning, but Felix Sanchez was thrown out at home plate and the Red Sox failed to score. Karns found a groove and pitched around baserunners in four of his five innings to earn his eighth victory. Meanwhile, the Nationals jumped in front 3-0 in the first inning, added one in the fourth, and blew it open with Kevin Keyes' three-run shot in the eighth that highlighted a four-run frame, giving Potomac an 8-0 advantage.
J.P. Ramirez went 3-for-4, leading Potomac's 13-hit barrage, with every National recording at least one knock. Karns improved to 8-2, while Celestino dropped to 7-7, surrendering four runs on eight hits in six innings. Bogaerts finished with two hits in the nightcap, giving him three hits on Thursday when you add his game-changing double from earlier in the night.
While the Sox could not complete the sweep, Salem still returns to LewisGale Field on Friday having taken two out of three over Potomac. The Sox kick off a three-game series against Wilmington on Friday evening at 7:05, with Yeiper Castillo getting the start against Leondy Perez.
Carolina League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Coyle's Blast Helps Sox Surpass Rocks 7-5 - Salem Red Sox
- Coyle's Homer Pushes Salem to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Retire Final 20 Keys in 4-1 Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hankerd Heroic Again in Late Dash Rally - Winston-Salem Dash
- Carolina Blues: P-Nats Fall 6-4 in Winston-Salem - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Pounce Late for 7-2 Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Schlosser Snaps Scoreless Streak, Hillcats Win 7-2 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Bats Stifled in 4-1 Defeat - Frederick Keys
- Fields Named Topps Player of the Month - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- August 10th Is '70s Night at the Pfitz - Potomac Nationals
- Potomac Catcher David Freitas Traded to Oakland - Potomac Nationals
- Mudcats Make Roster Moves - Carolina Mudcats
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Add Video Webcasts for Home Games - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Splits Two Thursday Decisions at Potomac - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.