Barons Crushed by Generals 9-1August 1, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Birmingham Barons
Barons' starter Jacob Petricka navigated through five scoreless innings but ran into trouble in the sixth. Rich Poythress led off the inning with a single and scored on a towering two-run home run by Joseph Dunigan, his second home run of the series. After a walk to Ralph Henriquez, Petricka was removed in favor of reliever Nevin Griffith who proceeded to allow four more runs thanks to two hit batters and three wild pitches. Griffith would face seven batters before being relieved by Salvador Sanchez.
The Generals would go on to score two runs in the seventh on a Nate Tenbrink two-run home run and another in the eighth on a solo shot by Brad Miller for the final margin of 9-0. The loss went to Patricka (0-2, 3.80) who allowed three runs on seven hits in 5.0 innings while striking out six and walking three. The win went to Generals starter James Paxton (6-3, 3.09) who allowed just vie hits over 6.0 shutout innings while striking out eight.
Second baseman Carlos Sanchez finished 2-for-4 in the losing effort, extending his hitting streak to 11 games. Sanchez has at least one hit in all 11 games since being promoted from Class A Winston-Salem.
The loss dropped the Barons to 48-60 and 18-21 in the second half while Jackson improved to 63-45 and 21- 17 in the second half. The Barons will look to win the series finale tomorrow night as RHP Nick McCully (1-1, 6.50) takes the hill against LHP Anthony Fernandez (4-1, 2.95). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM CDT.
Southern League Stories from August 1, 2012
- Long Ball Lifts Smokies Past Pensacola Wednesday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Smokies Take Two from Wahoos on Wednesday - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Blast Three Homers and Rout Barons 9-1 - Jackson Generals
- Barons Crushed by Generals 9-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Even Series, Take Down M-Braves 7-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Biscuits Silence Braves to Even Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lookouts Roster Affected by MLB Trade Deadline - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Jefferies Placed On Temporary Inactive List - Jacksonville Suns
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Homestand Highlights - Chattanooga Lookouts
- INF Cerda returns to Tennessee; Apodaca, Harris, Rohan promoted to AAA - Tennessee Smokies
- RHP Bawcom Outrighted to Jackson from Trade with Dodgers - Jackson Generals
- Suns Set for Playoff Push against Biscuits and BayBears - Jacksonville Suns
- Suns Announce Game Time Changes - Jacksonville Suns
- BayBears Going "Downtown" to Offer 2012 Playoff Tickets on Dauphin St. - Mobile BayBears
- Suns Split Late Night Twin Bill - Jacksonville Suns
- BayBears and Suns Split Late Night Doubleheader - Mobile BayBears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.