Miners Fall in Extras to GatewayJuly 30, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
Gateway took the first lead of the game off Miners starter David Harden as designated hitter Rogelio Noris hit a sacrifice fly to bring in second baseman Jonathan Johnson to give the Grizzlies a 1-0 lead. The Miners evened it up off Grizzlies starter Tim Brown in the bottom of the first inning as Miners outfielder Cory Harrilchak, freshly off the disabled list hit a double and a RBI to make it a 1-1 game.
Scoring didn't place again until the bottom of the fifth inning with Gerardo Avila on second base as Chad Maddox hit a single to second baseman Jonathan Johnson who committed an error to allow Avila to score. The Miners took the lead 2-1 heading into the top of the sixth inning.
In the top of the eighth inning, the Grizzlies tied the game off Harden with a double and a RBI by Chris McClendon to score Rogelio Noris who hit a one out single. With the game tied 2-2, the next batter John Shelby hit a base hit to left field but Darian Sandford threw out McClendon at the plate to keep it at 2-2 heading into the bottom of the eight inning.
Grizzlies starter Tim Brown pitched seven innings and gave up eight hits. He allowed two runs (one earned), walked two batters and struck out four. Grizzlies closer Richard Barrett pitched two shutout innings as well as Grizzlies reliever Philip Reamy. Miners reliever Gabriel Shaw pitched the tenth and eleventh innings and didn't allow a hit.
In the top of the twelfth inning, Miners reliever David Whigham walked two batters and hit Richie Jiminez JR with one out to load the bases. Anthony Collazo came into the game and walked Jerod Yakubik, which gave the Grizzlies a 3-2 lead. Collazo struck out Jon Myers to end the top of the twelfth inning. The Grizzlies would win the game 3-2 in twelve innings and take the series two games to one.
The Miners are now 3-6 against the Grizzlies this season and fell to 38-28 on the season. The Miners are now four games behind Traverse City in the Eastern Division. Tomorrow night the Miners welcome in the Normal CornBelters to Rent One Park for a three game series. First pitch is at 7:05 pm.
Frontier League Stories from July 30, 2012
- Miners Fall in Extras to Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Win Extra-Inning Thriller in Marion - Gateway Grizzlies
- Bolts Drop Slammers 8-5 to End Season Series - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Shut out RiverHawks 11-0 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Shutout Hands Boomers Series Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Andrew Davis's walk off single pushes Crushers past Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Dunn, Nidiffer Key Beach Bums Win - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 30 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- RiverHawks activate Luciano, place Schnitzer on DL - Rockford RiverHawks
- Power Connection Pack the Park Night Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- Cancer Survivor Night Highlights Home Stand - River City Rascals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Otters Sweep Doubleheader from the Freedom - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.