Gallas Rains on Blue Rocks, Snaps Skid at SixJuly 28, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Carolina Mudcats
Will Roberts (4-6) dealt five solid innings to assist the Mudcats' (18-18, 50-56) effort. The right-hander held the Blue Rocks to a pair of runs on six hits. He fanned three hitters without a walk.
Chase Boruff (1-6) allowed the winning hit in the sixth inning. Only one of the five runs he allowed over two innings were earned.
Wilmington built a 4-1 lead thanks to a two-run jack by Juan Graterol and a solo homer from Matt Fields entering the sixth. Jesus Aguilar helped the Mudcats stay within striking distance by driving in two runs on a double and bloop single.
Little did the partisan crowd of 4,177 know, but a shallow, bloop hit to right field that extended the sixth inning turned would turn pivotal in the Carolina rally. Carlos Moncrief drew a walk to bring up Ronny Rodriguez. The shortstop hit a routine grounder to his counterpart, Orlando Calixte. The shortstop had trouble with the ball, and did not have a play at any bases.
With Mudcats swimming around every rock, Gallas stepped to the plate, and launched a 1-1 pitch clear over the Mudcats' bullpen and the left field wall. The outfielder's first grand slam of 2012 put Carolina ahead to stay, 6-4.
Giovanny Urshela drove in the seventh run with a sac-fly to right in the seventh inning, and Aguilar drove in his third run on his third straight hit to finish off the scoring.
Just as the teams were set to begin the eighth inning, a fast-moving deluge overtook the park, and washed away the rest of the night's events.
Carolina and Wilmington meet for a final time in 2012 at 1:35 p.m. inside Frawley Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Mudcats return home July 31 to host Myrtle Beach for three games. Tickets are available through the box office by calling (919) 269-2287 or visiting carolinamudcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Villanueva Stays Hot, Birds Win 5-3 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Pelicans Score Final Five Runs in Narrow Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Big Sixth Inning and Rain Propels Mudcats - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Gallas Rains on Blue Rocks, Snaps Skid at Six - Carolina Mudcats
- Souza Jr.'s Last Blast Leads Potomac to Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Souza Jr. Downs Keys in Ninth - Frederick Keys
- Hillcats Take 3-1 Pitchers' Duel from Sox - Salem Red Sox
- Scoreless Schlosser Leads Way to 3-1 Hillcats Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Two to IR, Pair Join Dash - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.