Braves Salvage Final Game of Series with 10-6 WinJuly 23, 2012 - International League (IL) Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
Brandon Laird got the Yankees on the scoreboard in the top of the second inning with a two out solo HR off current Gwinnett Brave and former SWB Yankee and Red Baron Eric Junge. Laird's 10th of the season cleared the wall in left and put the Yankees up 1-0.
Gwinnett answered in the bottom of the first inning tying the game at 1-1 off Yankees starter Mike O'Connor (LP, 2-4) scoring on a fielder's choice off the bat off Ruben Gotay. With first and third and one down, Gotay's comebacker look like an inning ending 1-6-3 double play but O'Connor threw high into centerfield and the game was tied up.
The Braves picked up their first lead of the season against the Yankees in 61.2 innings of baseball scoring three in the third inning off O'Connor. A two out walk extended the inning and Jose Yepez picked up an RBI single to right, his second hit of the night scoring Ernesto Mejia giving the Braves a 2-1 lead. Ruben Gotay followed with an RBI single to extend the lead to 3-1. A Laird throwing error on an infield single by Lance Zawadzki scored Yepez for a 4-1 Braves lead.
Back-to-back Gwinnett doubles in the fourth inning off O'Connor ran the lead to 6-1 before SWB Manager Dave Miley went the bullpen. Jack Wilson down from Atlanta on a Major League Rehab led off the inning with a single and scored of the first of the two doubles from Mejia. Stefan Gartrell's double scored Mejia extending the lead to five. Gartrell was the last batter O'Connor faced leaving after 3.1 innings allowing 10H, six runs, five earned with two walks and three strikeouts throwing 75 pitches.
The Yankees cut the deficit in half with a two out, two run homer from Chris Dickerson, his second of the season. The home run half way up the law section in right field was the second of the season for Dickerson. Junge's night would be complete following the inning. The former Yankee and Red Baron finished the night with 5.0 innings, allowing five hits three runs (all earned) with one walk and one strikeout.
Gwinnett would answer the Dickerson homer with three in the bottom half of the fifth inning off SWB reliever Preston Claiborne on a three run homer to right from Felix Pie to run the lead to 9-3. The Braves made it 10-3 in the seventh inning scoring a run on a Juan Cedeno wild pitch, after he replaced Claiborne who threw 2.1 innings of two hit, three run relief.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre scored three runs in the eighth inning off Braves reliever Cole McCurry on an RBI double from Corban Joseph, a wild pitch and an RBI ground out to close the scoring out at 10-6.
The Yankees move to Charlotte to open the second portion of the current 10 game road trip with a 7:15 PM first pitch on Tuesday. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has not announced a starter following the trade of D.J. Mitchell (Tuesday's scheduled starter) to Seattle as part of the Ichiro trade. Right hander Matt Zaleski (3-3, 3.66) is slated to make the start for the Knights.
International League Stories from July 23, 2012
- Indians Outlast Mud Hens 2-1 in Fourteen - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Fall to Indy in 14 - Toledo Mud Hens
- G-Braves Finally Trump Yankees, 10-6 - Gwinnett Braves
- Knights Sweep Bisons, Win Finale 9-6 on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Pen Combines for 6-Hit Shutout - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Top Bats, Take Three of Four - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Braves Salvage Final Game of Series with 10-6 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Stellar Pitching Leads Tides over Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons to Host Free Movie Night with "Despicable Me" on BisonsTV HD Board - Buffalo Bisons
- Washington Nationals' Jayson Werth and Chad Tracy in Rochester - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Charlotte at Buffalo (7:05 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Mets OF Mike Baxter Joins Bisons on MLB Injury Rehab Assignment - Buffalo Bisons
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, July 23 at Durham (Rays) - Rochester Red Wings
- McPherson Named IL Player of the Week - Charlotte Knights
- Mud Hens Host Gene Cook Foundation Baseball Camp for Kids - Toledo Mud Hens
- Red Wings' Jeff Manship Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Werth and Tracy Scheduled to Rehab in Syracuse - Syracuse Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.