Henry Volley Propels Red Bulls to 1-0 Win over FireJuly 18, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New York Red Bulls
In the hot and humid conditions, both teams looked to get a foothold in the game in the first half. Off a Pavel Pardo corner kick, Fire defender Dan Gargan rose and could not put his header on frame 13 minutes in. On the other end eight minutes later, Red Bulls midfielder Mehdi Ballouchy collected a feed from Brandon Barklage and made space from 15-yards-out to fire a shot that goalkeeper Sean Johnson parried away. Soon after, Henry ran onto a Dax McCarty long ball and ripped it over the bar.
The Red Bulls continued to apply pressure and in the 32nd minute, Henry was the provider this time, looping it to Sebastien Le Toux, who lobbed it in stride over Johnson and just high. Seconds later, Ballouchy controlled a Roy Miller pass and pulled his attempt wide right. With two minutes to play in the interval, Le Toux hit a blast that Johnson went down to save.
New York took the lead for good in the 71st minute thanks to a spectacular effort from Henry. Le Toux played a diagonal ball towards the left side of the penalty box to Henry, who chested it down and volleyed it with his left foot off the right post and into the back of the net for his first goal since April 28 (Link to goal: http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/07/18/goal-henry-smashes-it-post-and). He is now in a third place tie in the MLS Golden Boot race.
The Fire nearly got an equalizer with seven minutes remaining. Substitute Orr Barouch flicked on a cross to Gonzalo Segares at the back post and the defender's on target attempt was cleared off the line by Barklage.
The Red Bulls return to the pitch on Saturday, July 21 at 2:30 PM ET when they host rival the Philadelphia Union at Red Bull Arena at 2:30 PM ET (TV: ESPN, ESPN Deportes; Radio: WLIB 1190 AM). The first 5,000 fans 16 and under will receive a free New York Red Bulls flat-brimmed hat. Tickets are on sale for the match by calling 1.877.RBSOCCER or logging onto www.newyorkredbulls.com.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 18, 2012
- Dynamo Tops Sporting Kansas City 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Sporting KC Road Trip Ends with 2-1 Defeat at Houston Dynamo - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA President and Co-Owner Antonio Cue to Receive the CUN Humanitarian Award - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Timbers Fall 1-0 to Chivas USA on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Extends Unbeaten Streak to Four Straight and 8 out of Last 9 with 1-0 Victory over Portla - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- RSL v. Houston Reserve Match Rescheduled for October 10 - Real Salt Lake
- Henry Volley Propels Red Bulls to 1-0 Win over Fire - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Undone by New York Red Bulls 1-0 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. Gives Back to the Chester Community - MLS
- Rapids to Wear Black Armbands in Honor of Marisa Colaiano - Colorado Rapids
- Liverpool FC Announce Roster for Toronto FC Friendly Match - Toronto FC
- Sounders FC and Dale Chihuly to Present Blue Lion Spire to Chelsea FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire vs. Aston Villa Match to be Available Via Livestream - Chicago Fire
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - July 18 vs. Sporting Kansas City - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.