American Association Game RecapsJuly 15, 2012 - American Association (AA)
The Gary SouthShore RailCats broke a scoreless tie in the eighth inning to take an inter-league game from the Worcester Tornadoes 2-0. Six different RailCat pitchers combined to shut out the Tornadoes and as a unit gave up just eight hits in the ball game. The Tornado staff was just as effective for most of the game as Gary SouthShore had just six hits but they came in timely spots. In the top of the eighth, 1B Mike Rohde singled up the middle with the bases loaded and brought home David Cooper. C Ryan Babineau was walked in the next at bat to add another run. Reliever Estevan Uriegas earned the win by striking out one batter and throwing just five pitches.
St. Paul 6, Winnipeg 3
After a 59 minute rain delay in the seventh inning the St. Paul Saints finished off the Winnipeg Goldeyes 6-3. Saints DH Ole Sheldon was 4-for-5 with four RBI in the game and also hit his 13th home run of the season. CF Jose Hernandez also had a nice night at the plate going 3-for-5 and scoring three times. The Goldeyes had just five hits in the game while the Saints had more than three times that with 16. All three of Winnipeg's runs came in the first inning. P Anthony Claggett improved to 3-2 on the year by picking up the win.
Lincoln 4, El Paso 2
The Lincoln Saltdogs took the lead for good in the bottom of the seventh inning with a three-spot and went on to take the game from the El Paso Diablos 4-2. Saltdog CF Sean Smith broke the 1-1 tie when he scored on a wild pitch in the seventh. Two pitches later 3B Mike Provencher scored on a sacrifice fly by SS David Espinosa. Smith, as well as 1B John Alonso and LF Stephen Holdren, went 2-for-4 on the night. For El Paso, both RF Welington Dotel and 1B Jonathan Cisneros were 3-for-4 while the rest of the team had just three hits combined. P Wade Mackey was the winner as he went seven innings and scattered seven hits for just one run.
Sioux City 3, Sioux Falls 2
Sioux City Explorer 1B Kris Sanchez blasted a three-run homerun in the bottom of the fifth inning and it made the difference as the Explorers beat the Sioux Falls Pheasants 3-2. In a 3-1 hitters count Sanchez scored 3B Brian Bistagne and C Tyler Goodro with his ninth home run of the season. Sanchez finished the night 2-for-4 and is up to 46 RBI on the year. For the Pheasants, 3B Cesar Nicolas had a nice game going 3-for-4 with a run and an RBI. P Nick Schumacher picked up the win for his seven innings of work in which he gave two runs on five hits. P Chris Bodishbaugh earned his 11th save of the year.
Wichita 2, Laredo 1
After seven scoreless innings, the Wichita Wingnuts put up two runs in the eighth to topple the Laredo Lemurs 2-1. SS Ryan Khoury opened up the scoring by turning on the first pitch he saw in the top of the eighth and hitting his second home run of the season. DH John Rodriguez scored later in the inning to put the Wingnuts up 2-0. In the bottom of the frame, 1B Javier Brito scored CF Stephen Douglas on a sacrifice fly but that was the only run the Lemurs would score in the contest. Douglas led the Lemurs with two hits and run while Wichita's 2B Jairo Perez also had a team-high two hits. P Josh Lowey threw seven shutout innings to improve to 9-2 on the season.
American Association Stories from July 15, 2012
- Lemurs to Host a Thirsty Tuesday - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Lowey Dominant as Wingnuts Beat Lemurs - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sanchez Homer Powers X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Bats Continue to be Silent - Laredo Lemurs
- Pheasants Stumble in Sioux City - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Mackey Marvelous, 'Dogs Pull Away Late to Take Finale - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Settle For Series Split As Saltdogs Take Finale - El Paso Diablos
- Fish Fall out of First Place - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Sheldon Shines, Sets Franchise RBI Record as Saints Win 6-3 - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Shutout Tornadoes for Third Straight Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks Sweep AirHogs with a 6-3 Victory, Win League-Best 12th Straight Game - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- More Late Runs Doom AirHogs to Sweep - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sioux City Pitching Douses Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.