Phelps Dominant in Thunder's 3-0 Shutout of PortlandJuly 9, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Trenton Thunder
Sent to Trenton to pitch on regular rest while the Yankees are off for the major league All-Star break, Phelps (1-0) struck out a career-high 11 and walked only one. He allowed a one-out double to Jeremy Hazelbaker and a two-out walk to Reynaldo Rodriguez in the top of the first, then retired the final 18 batters he faced.
Farquhar came in with two outs in the seventh and retired all seven he faced, three on strikeouts, to finish the shutout and earn his second save (and first with Trenton.)
Pirela led off the bottom of the first against Portland spot starter Caleb Clay (3-3) with his first long ball of the game. He homered again off of Clay leading off the third to make the score 2-0. Rob Segedin's first career Eastern League hit was a solo home run in the seventh against reliever Chorye Spoone that ended the scoring.
The Thunder (51-38) head into the two-day Eastern League All-Star break in first place in the Eastern Division standings, one game ahead of New Britain (50-39). They will resume action Thursday night in New Britain with the opener of a four-game series with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 pm. Right-hander Dellin Betances (0-1, 0.75) is slated to start against lefty Aaron Thompson (3-3, 5.35). Radio coverage on 91.3 FM (WTSR) and also streaming online begins at 5:45 pm.
Eastern League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Harrisburg Senators - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Fans Will Save If Cutch Or Bautista Advance in Tonight's Home Run Derby - Altoona Curve
- Curve Steamroll Rosario in Ninth, 3-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Phelps Dominant in Thunder's 3-0 Shutout of Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Brock Shocks B-Mets with Walk-Off Winner - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels Sweep Away Reading, 9-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Trenton Takes Series Finale 3-0 Over Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Oust Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Defeat Baysox 4-2 - Akron Aeros
- Van Kirk Homers to End First Half - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Glenn Named Eastern League Player of the Week - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Thunder INF Kevin Mahoney Cleared to Play in All-Star Game - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Reading - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Celebrate Christmas Early with the Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Justin Fitzgerald Named EL Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Eastern League Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - EL
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Altoona Curve - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.