Hagerstown Completes Sweep over Legends with 6-3 Win SundayJuly 8, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Lexington Legends
The Legends took an early lead with three runs in the top of the first inning. With one out, Nolan Fontana walked. After Zach Johnson flied out, Matt Duffy singled, sending Fontana to second. Justin Gominsky followed with a double down the right field line, scoring Fontana and sending Duffy to third. Mike Kvasnicka's single brought home Duffy and Gominsky.
The Suns answered in the bottom of the first. Billy Burns led off with a single, and with two outs, Matt Skole hit his South Atlantic League-leading 21st home run of the season. Skole also leads the league with 73 runs batted in. Steven Souza Jr. followed with his 15th home run of the season, and the game was tied 3-3.
The Suns added three runs in the fourth inning. Justin Miller led off with a home run. Sam Palace followed with a single and moved to second on a wild pitch. After Bryce Ortega walked, Burns grounded into a force play at second, leaving runners at first and third. Palace scored on a base hit by Caleb Ramsey as Burns moved to third, and Burns came home on a ground out by Cutter Dykstra.
Richie Morowski (2-0), who relieved starter Bobby Hansen Jr. in the fifth inning and worked two scoreless innings, got the win. Legends starter Jonas Dufek (5-2) took the loss.
The Legends, who have now lost six straight, return to Lexington to open an eight-game homestand Tuesday night. The Legends will meet the Kannapolis Intimidators in the first of a four-game series Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 8, 2012
- Shorebirds Squeak out 7-6 Win in 11 Innings - Hickory Crawdads
- Shorebirds Win Finale 7-6 in 11 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Curley Makes Most of First Impression - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Defeat Braves Again, 12-3, Win Series - Greenville Drive
- Dogs Outlast Gnats 8-4 in 13 on Sunday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Blaser, Stevenson Provide Heroics in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Win on Get-Away Day, 7-5 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- GreenJackets Squeezed In Extras Tourists Take Four of Five - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws Score Late, Rain Prevents Power Comeback - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Completes Sweep over Legends with 6-3 Win Sunday - Lexington Legends
- Suns Complete Legendary Five Game Sweep - Hagerstown Suns
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.