Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 5-2 WinJuly 6, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Hickory Crawdads
The Crawdads (12-4, 48-37) jumped in front with a four-run bottom of the second inning against RHP Williams Louico (L, 0-2). After 3B Drew Robinson singled, LF Trever Adams and C Kellin Deglan both followed with walks to load the bases. After a fielder's choice retired an out at the plate, CF Jordan Akins drove in Adams with an RBI grounder that left runners at second and third. 2B Nick Urbanus then brought both runners home with a two-run single and took second base himself on an error charged to C Wynston Sawyer. Urbanus raced home from second on an RBI single by SS Rougned Odor, capping the frame with a 4-0 lead for the 'Dads.
Hickory RHP Nick Martinez (W, 5-2) kept the Shorebirds off the board through five scoreless innings in his start. The SAL All-Star struck out four, while allowing only two hits.
Delmarva (4-11, 32-52) did get on the board in the top of the sixth inning against RHP Taylor Dennis. After RF Brenden Webb reached base with a walk, 1B Nicky Delmonico hit a two-run home run to cut the deficit in half, 4-2.
Hickory, though, added an insurance run in the bottom the eighth inning. 1B Jorge Alfaro led off with a triple to right-center field, before LHP Zach Fowler struck out the next two batters. After Deglan worked a walk to get on, he broke on a stolen base attempt too soon and Fowler threw the ball to first base to start a run down. Just before the Shorebirds retired Deglan, Alfaro was able to dart home from third, stretching the lead to 5-2.
Dennis dealt a scoreless seventh inning, before RHP Phil Klein (S, 6) nailed down the 5-2 win for Hickory with scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 6, 2012
- Suns Take Walk-Off Win over Legends 5-4 - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 5-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off with 5-4 Win over Legends - Hagerstown Suns
- Three Unearned Runs Doom Tourists in 4-3 Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Power rally for a 4-3 win over Lakewood - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Fall 5-2 to Crawdads in Game Three - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rodriguez Blast Propels Gnats to 1-0 Win Friday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Wild Pitch Brings Home Intimidators Go-Ahead Run in 8th - Kannapolis Intimidators
- 8th Inning Rally Dooms BlueClaws in 4-3 Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive, Braves Split Friday's Doubleheader - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Homer for Savannah Caps Pitchers Duel - Charleston RiverDogs
- Big Second Inning Drives 4-3 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Free Admission for Line Workers this Weekend - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs' Eight-Game Homestand Ends With Splash - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.