Wild Pitch Brings Home Intimidators Go-Ahead Run in 8thJuly 6, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Kannapolis Intimidators
With the game tied 3-3 since the top of the sixth, Keenyn Walker drew a walk to lead off the bottom of the eighth, moved to second on an errant pickoff attempt, and Joey DeMichele singled him to third. With Kevan Smith at the plate, Grasshoppers reliever Collin Cargill's wild pitch gave Walker the opening to score, pulling the Intimidators in front, 4-3.
Max Peterson, who the White Sox acquired out of the independent Frontier League earlier this week, took the mound in the ninth inning and gave up a single and a two-out walk before shutting the door for his first save with Kannapolis.
Reliever Jarrett Casey (4-2) earned the win, working three relief innings and allowing one hit. Cargill (0-1) suffered the loss.
Greensboro took an early 2-0 lead in the second inning. With two outs and a runner on third, first baseman Grant Buckner misplayed a Wilfredo Gimenez ground ball, allowing a run to come home and extending the inning. Two batters later, Rand Smith singled home Gimenez for a 2-0 lead.
Grasshoppers starter Jose Urena kept the Intimidators off the scoreboard through the first four innings. With one out in the fifth, Joe De Pinto and Bill Rice singled, and two batters later Walker's base hit cashed De Pinto to put the Intimidators on the board. DeMichele then singled to right field to cash Rice and right fielder Rand Smith misplayed the ball, allowing Walker to score for a 3-2 lead through five innings.
James Wooster led off the sixth with a double, the only hit allowed by Casey, and he scored to tie the game on a wild pitch.
Intimidators starter Scott Snodgress took no decision, working five innings, allowing two unearned runs on six hits with a pair of walks and strikeouts.
The Intimidators continue this five-game series against the Grasshoppers on Saturday at 7:05 p.m., as RHP Myles Jaye faces Greensboro's RHP Austin Brice. For ticket information, call the box office at (704) 932-3267 or visit www.IntimidatorsBaseball.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from July 6, 2012
- Suns Take Walk-Off Win over Legends 5-4 - Lexington Legends
- Crawdads Ground Shorebirds with 5-2 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Walk-Off with 5-4 Win over Legends - Hagerstown Suns
- Three Unearned Runs Doom Tourists in 4-3 Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Power rally for a 4-3 win over Lakewood - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Fall 5-2 to Crawdads in Game Three - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rodriguez Blast Propels Gnats to 1-0 Win Friday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Wild Pitch Brings Home Intimidators Go-Ahead Run in 8th - Kannapolis Intimidators
- 8th Inning Rally Dooms BlueClaws in 4-3 Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive, Braves Split Friday's Doubleheader - Greenville Drive
- Walk-Off Homer for Savannah Caps Pitchers Duel - Charleston RiverDogs
- Big Second Inning Drives 4-3 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Free Admission for Line Workers this Weekend - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Hickory - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs' Eight-Game Homestand Ends With Splash - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.