Sharks and UNCW Alumni to Play Charity Game on SundayJuly 6, 2012 - Coastal Plain League (Coastal Plain) Wilmington Sharks
Britt, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, graduated from Laney High School before attending UNC Wilmington from 1994-1996. His name still dots the Seahawks record books, as he holds the career mark for home runs with 40 and has the second-highest career slugging percentage (.594) in school history. He is also listed atop the single-season lists for both categories, with 21 home runs and a .716 slugging percentage in 1996. In addition, his 166 total bases (2nd) and 60 runs scored (8th) during that season ranked among the best years for a Seahawk.
Following his junior season, Britt was drafted in the fourth round (98th overall) by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1996 MLB Draft. He went on to play minor league and independent ball until 2003. In 2007, he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a disease that damages nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.
The event begins at 2 p.m., and all tickets with cost $5 with a portion of the proceeds going to help defray the medical costs piled up by multiple sclerosis.
The Wilmington Sharks are members of Coastal Plain League, the nation's hottest summer collegiate baseball league. Now in its 16th season, The Coastal Plain League features 14 teams playing in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The CPL gives college players the chance to refine their skills with the use of wooden bats. Players are housed with local host families for the summer. The CPL has had over 1,000 alumni drafted and 52 alums make their Major League debut thus far. For more information on the Coastal Plain League, please visit the league website at www.coastalplain.com.
Coastal Plain League Stories from July 6, 2012
- Fish and âDogs Split Twinbill in Morehead City - Morehead City Marlins
- Late Inning Surge Powers Tobs to Victory - Wilson Tobs
- Blowfish Throttle Copperheads - Columbia Blowfish
- Tobs Smoke out Visiting Sharks - Wilmington Sharks
- Owls Slide Continues in Gastonia - Forest City Owls
- Steamers Come Back on Pilots Again - Edenton Steamers
- Blowfish Home Tonight - Columbia Blowfish
- Sharks and UNCW Alumni to Play Charity Game on Sunday - Wilmington Sharks
- Post Game Concert Tonight - Thomasville HiToms
- Slow And Steady Wins The Race - Wilmington Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.