Winston Sets Attendance Record in LossJuly 4, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Winston-Salem Dash
Myrtle Beach (11-3, 47-37) sent 11 men to the plate in the second inning. The Pelicans scored all six runs with two outs during the frame. Teodoro Martinez ripped a two-run double down the line to open the floodgates. Two batters later, Hanser Alberto hit an infield single to the right side that plated two more runners. Alberto eventually came around to score, and the Pelicans led 6-0.
Winston-Salem (5-9, 49-34-1) countered with a run in the second on a solo blast to left field by Michael Earley, his 10th home run of the season. Earley finished the night 3-for-5.
Four consecutive hits to lead off the sixth inning pushed the Pelicans' lead to 8-1. Teodoro Martinez drove in a run and finished 3-for-4, with three RBI on the night. Brett Nicholas helped spearhead the Myrtle Beach offense with a 3-for-4 performance.
The Dash made it interesting with three runs in the bottom of the sixth. Juan Silverio and Ross Wilson drew consecutive walks to put two men on base for David Herbek. The designated hitter drove a two-run double down the right field line to plate both runners. Herbek raced home from second after Odubel Herrera dropped a towering pop up in shallow right field.
Jake Petricka picked up his first loss in his last seven starts but struck out a season-high eight batters. Randol Rojas improved to 7-1 on the year after throwing five innings and allowing one run.
The Dash look to take game two of the series Thursday night when southpaw Blair Walters (0-2, 6.55 ERA) gets the ball. Myrtle Beach sends right-hander Luke Jackson (0-0, 4.09 ERA) to the mound. First pitch is set for 7:00 p.m.
For more information or to purchase tickets for the homestand, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or log on to wsdash.com.
Carolina League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Salem Snaps Skid, Blasts Carolina 12-3 - Salem Red Sox
- Mummey Mash Keys Victory - Frederick Keys
- Winston Sets Attendance Record in Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Sox Thump Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Win Fifth Straight, 8-4 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- P-Nats Cough up Late Lead on the Fourth of July - Potomac Nationals
- Three Homers Spark 'Cats in Offensive Outburst - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Rocks Go Down Fighting on the Fourth - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- INF Chad Tracy Added to Nationals Roster - Potomac Nationals
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Righties Shuffled on Dash Roster - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.