Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the WeekJuly 2, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Atlanta Dream
McCoughtry led the Dream to a 2-1 record for the week, including wins over Eastern Conference rival Indiana and Tulsa. In the process, she led the conference in scoring (22.3 ppg), was tied for second in blocks (1.67 bpg), and tied for eleventh in rebounds (5.7 rpg) for the week, while also contributing 2.3 assists per outing.
She opened the week June 26 with a game-high 22 points in a 70-58 victory over the Indiana Fever in which she also posted five boards, two blocks, two assists, and two steals. Three days later she again led all scorers in a 102-92 road win over the Tulsa Shock, notching 24 points, seven rebounds, three assists and a pair of blocks.
McCoughtry closed out the week Sunday with 21 points in a 71-69 defeat at the hands of the Chicago Sky, marking the sixth straight game she tallied at least 20 points.
For McCoughtry, the league leader this season in both scoring (22.6 ppg) and steals (3.15 spg), the Player of the Week award presented by Boost Mobile is the seventh such honor of her career and her first of the season.
Dream fans can vote for McCoughtry as the WNBA's Best Player for the July 11 ESPY Awards by visiting ESPN.com/ESPYS.
San Antonio Silver Stars forward Sophia Young was named the Western Conference Player of the Week.
Other candidates for WNBA Players of the Week presented by Boost Mobile were Chicago's Sylvia Fowles, Connecticut's Asjha Jones, and Washington's Crystal Langhorne in the East, and, in the West, Minnesota's Rebekkah Brunson, Phoenix's DeWanna Bonner, and Seattle's Sue Bird.
2012 WNBA PLAYER OF THE WEEK WINNERS
Week Ending East Player Team West Player Team
5/27/12 Tamika Catchings Indiana Candace Parker Los Angeles
6/3/12 Epiphanny Prince Chicago DeWanna Bonner Phoenix
6/10/12 Epiphanny Prince Chicago Nneka Ogwumike Los Angeles
6/17/12 Tina Charles Connecticut Candace Parker Los Angeles
6/24/12 Tamika Catchings Indiana Candace Parker Los Angeles
7/1/12 Angel McCoughtry Atlanta Sophia Young San Antonio
The Atlanta Dream is in its fifth season this summer at Philips Arena as part of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA), the world's longest-running women's professional sports league. The Dream is the defending two-time, back-to-back Eastern Conference Champion. The next home game is scheduled for Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. against the Chicago Sky. Single game, group and season tickets are on sale now. For more information, visit www.AtlantaDream.net or call (877) 977-7729.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from July 2, 2012
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Month - Los Angeles Sparks
- Atlanta Dream Skills Academy in Winston July 16 - Atlanta Dream
- Charles Named Player of the Month - Connecticut Sun
- Connecticut's Charles and Los Angeles' Parker Named Players of the Month - WNBA
- Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Named WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Week - Atlanta Dream
- Indiana Acquires Karima Christmas in Trade with Tulsa Shock - Indiana Fever
- Shock Acquires Roneeka Hodges - Tulsa Shock
- Dream's McCoughtry and Silver Stars' Young Take Weekly Honors - WNBA
- Sun Spotlights The Arc New London County - Connecticut Sun
- Sparks Waive Guard Coco Miller - Los Angeles Sparks
- Phoenix Mercury's Samantha Prahalis Named Rookie of the Month for June - WNBA
- New York Liberty Waives Kelly Miller - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.