Rascals Dominate NormalJuly 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
Nick Kennedy (3-1) posted a dominate start, going seven innings while allowing one run on six hits with six strikeouts, as the defense played flawlessly behind him while the offense put up runs early and often.
A seemingly more focused and confident team following a pregame players-only meeting, the Rascals went out and took an early 1-0 lead in the first and stretched it to 2-0 in the second. River City got their first two batters on base to start both innings, including loading the bases with no outs in the second that led to just one run scored. A double play in the second and third innings ended a potential big inning, but the Rascals remained focused.
After the CornBelters (15-24) closed the margin to 2-1 in the fourth, River City (23-18) responded with three runs in their half of the fourth with Josh Workman providing the big hit, a two-run double that scored Jeremy Synan and Jason Patton before Ben Hewett drove in Workman on a groundout to make the score 5-1.
River City added two more runs in the sixth with Patton, Workman, and Matt Serna singles to start the inning before the offense exploded in the seventh.
10 different hitters either scored a run or drove in a run (or both) in the seventh on eight hits as the Rascals sent 12 to the plate while stringing together five-straight two-out singles to take a 14-1 lead. Kennedy retired the final seven he faced before giving way to rookies Cory Caruso and Jason Sullivan to finish the game.
River City and Normal square off in the rubber game tomorrow night with first pitch set for 7:05.
-River City improves to 18-0 when leading after five innings
Frontier League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Dominate Normal - River City Rascals
- Slammers Snap Four Game Skid - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Shutout in Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Announce Time Change for July 3rd and July 4th - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters Walloped by River City - Normal CornBelters
- Lake Erie Crushers Split DH with Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Mozingo's Walk-Off Double Caps Ninth Inning Rally - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win Streak - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Grab Canada Day Win in Grand Fashion - London Rippers
- RiverHawks release pitcher - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums' Langbehn Named East Division All-Star Manager - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Max Peterson Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Lose Fourth-Straight - River City Rascals
- Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Series Opener to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.