Timbers Fall 3-0 to Rapids on the RoadJuly 1, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
Saturday's loss was just the second in the last seven league contests for the Timbers (4-7-4, 16pts), who kicked off a stretch of three games in eight days.
The Rapids (7-8-1, 22pts) took a 2-0 lead into halftime on goals by Jaime Castrillon and Conor Casey just four minutes apart. In the closing minutes of the contest, second-half sub Jamie Smith tallied the third goal to seal Colorado's 3-0 win.
Rapids midfielder Brian Mullan held off a challenge on the right flank, releasing defender Hunter Freeman down the touchline early in the first half. Freeman drove in a centering pass that found Castrillon in front of the penalty mark and Castrillon scored on a one-time, left-footed shot in the 18th minute.
The Rapids quickly doubled their lead in the 22nd minute when Casey found room in between two Timbers defenders in the middle of the penalty box and guided a header to the near post and past Perkins.
Second-half substitute Jaime Smith added a third goal for Colorado on a counterattack in the 89th minute.
The Timbers face a quick turnaround in league play, hosting the San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday, July 3, at JELD-WEN Field at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific). The match will be televised live on KPTV and across the Portland Timbers Television Network with radio broadcasts on 750 AM The Game and in Spanish on La Pantera 940 AM.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 1, 2012
- Impact U21 Shuts out Kingston FC 7-0 - Montreal Impact
- Timbers U-23s Earn 1-1 Road Draw at Victoria - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Rally from Two-Goal Deficit to Defeat La Galaxy 4-3 In - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 3-0 to Rapids on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Dominate in 3-0 Win over Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- RSL Drops 0-2 Decision in Power-Outage Delayed Game at Crew Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Dynamo earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Show Fight on the Road But Fall to Houston, 2-1 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.