Saints Dig Early Hole, Swept by Wingnuts, Lose 7-3June 28, 2012 - American Association (AA) St. Paul Saints
The Wingnuts used the momentum from a six run ninth inning on Wednesday night and came out early and put up a crooked number. They scored four runs in the second and it started with an infield single by Steve Carrillo. Justin Tellam followed with a walk. After a sacrifice bunt by Jared McDonald moved the runners up Mike Conroy singled home the first run to make it 1-0. Ryan Khoury made it 2-0 with a sacrifice fly. Jake Kahaulelio made it 3-0 with an RBI single and he would later score in the inning on a passed ball to make it 4-0.
The Wingnuts continued their relentless attack in the third when McDonald roped an RBI single and Kahaulelio walked with the bases loaded to make it 6-0.
The Saints didn't roll over, however, and tried to mount a comeback. In the fourth Jose Hernandez doubled, moved to third on a ground out and scored when Ole Sheldon struck out, but the ball skipped away from the catcher Justin Tellam for a wild pitch allowing Hernandez to score making it 6-1.
In the fifth Adam Frost tripled with two outs and then Hernandez crushed a two-run homer, his fourth of the season, to make it 6-3. Frost finished the night 3-4, falling a homer shy of the cycle with a run scored while Hernandez went 2-4 with a double and homer, two RBI and two runs scored. Jim Rapoport followed with a triple, but was left stranded when Sheldon flew out to right. That was as close as the Saints would get.
The Saints now head to Newman Outdoor Field and begin a three game series against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks on Friday night at 7:02 p.m. The Saints send RHP Matt Schuld (0-1, 3.60) to the mound against RedHawks RHP Paul Burnside (4-3, 2.66). The game can be heard on Club 1220 KLBB.
American Association Stories from June 28, 2012
- Wingnuts Finish Sweep of Saints - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Dig Early Hole, Swept by Wingnuts, Lose 7-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Scurry, Pheasants Blank El Paso - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos Three Game Streak Comes To An End As Pheasants Roll - El Paso Diablos
- RedHawks Crush Saltdogs 12-4 for Three-Game Series Sweep - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Longest Saints Homestand Has Patriotic Feel - St. Paul Saints
- RailCats Sign Infielder Zach Tanner - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Collaro on Fire, But Hawks Hammer 'Dogs to Complete Sweep - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.