Timbers U-23s Face Fraser Valley, Victoria on Two-Game Road TripJune 28, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
The Timbers U-23s (7-3-1, 22pts) opened the week with a 3-1 road win over the North Sound SeaWolves on Monday to remain in the playoff hunt in a tightly contested PDL Northwest Division. Currently in third place, the Timbers U-23s are just three points behind the division-leading Washington Crossfire.
The win over North Sound was the Timbers U-23s' second road win of the season and the team's second victory in its last three games.
The Timbers U-23s continue a season-long, three-game road stretch Friday as they close out the season-series against Mariners FC (0-11-1, 1pt). The Timbers U-23s defeated Mariners FC 3-0 in their opening match of the season as forward Mark Sherrod recorded a brace. Portland leads the all-time series against Fraser Valley with a record of 4-2-0. Mariners FC are coming off a 4-0 loss to the Vancouver Whitecaps U-23 on June 20.
Playing on back-to-back nights, the Timbers U-23s face a Victoria (3-6-3, 12pts) team playing a third game in eight days on Saturday. Earlier this season, the Timbers U-23s beat Highlanders FC 4-1 at home on May 19. Sherrod recorded the fourth hat trick in team history in the victory. Portland owns a 4-1-2 record in the all-time series against Victoria, including a 2-0-1 mark on the road. On June 24, Victoria shut out the Kitsap Pumas 3-0 as midfielder Jordan Hughes scored two goals.
The two road matches this weekend will conclude the Timbers U-23s' stretch of four games in eight days and will be two of the team's final three road contests of the 2012 regular season, presented by Billups Worldwide.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 28, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Sporting KC Hosts Rivals Chicago Fire on Friday - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Waive Three Players - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Acquires Long Tan - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Trade Tan to D.C. United and Waive Franks - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers U-23s Face Fraser Valley, Victoria on Two-Game Road Trip - Portland Timbers
- Toronto FC Waive Burgos - Toronto FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines Philadelphia Union Defender Raymon Gaddis - MLS
- Tickets for U.S. Men's National Team World Cup Qualifier at LSP on Sale July 24 - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Open Cup Tickets on Sale Friday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Waive D Josh Suggs, M Ellis McLoughlin - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Team Manager John Hackworth Redeems Free Haircut after Win - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.