Three-Run Seventh Dooms Doubledays in 9-3 Loss at BataviaJune 21, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Auburn Doubledays
Batavia's first three runs came in the bottom of the second off Doubleday's starter LHP Blake Monar (0-1). Monar walked two batters in the inning, and threw two wild pitches, the second of which allowed DH Jesus Montero to score the first run of the game for Batavia. The other two runs in the inning were brought home on a double off the bat of C Jonathan Keener.
Keener also delivered an RBI single in the fourth to put the Muckdogs ahead 4-0. The Doubledays attempted to mount a comeback in the sixth when they loaded the bases with no one out. First baseman Shawn Pleffner and LF Brandon Miller each walked with the bases load, pushing two runs across the board and pulling Auburn within three, 5-2. Still with the bases loaded and no one out, CF Angelberth Montilla grounded into a fielders choice, pushing one more run across the plate and putting runners on the corners with one out. However, that would be all the runs the Doubledays could muster, as DH Jordan Poole and 3B Carlos Lopez each struck out looking to end the inning.
The Muckdogs put the game away in the bottom of the seventh when they scored three runs on four hits off of Auburn LHP Bryan Harper. In total Batavia had 12 hits compared to seven for the Doubledays, with each team stranding five base runners.
Getting the win for the Muckdogs was LHP Lee Stoppelman (1-0), who pitched two innings of relief without being charged for a run. Batavia starter RHP Joe Cuda was in line for the win as his team was up 4-0 when he left the game, but he only pitched four inning so he could not get credit for the win.
Monar got tagged with the loss for Auburn as he allowed three earned runs in three innings on two hits, three walks, and two wild pitches. In total Auburn used four pitchers for the third straight night.
These two teams will battle again Thursday night in Auburn when the Doubledays will send RHP Pedro Encarnacion (0-0) to the mound. He will square off against LHP Daniel Bibona (0-0) for Batavia. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm on $1.00 Thursday at Falcon Park. Limited tickets are still available by calling the Doubledays box office at 315-255-2489 or going online to www.auburndoubledays.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Renegades Run Away from Birds, 6-3 - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Heredia Sparkles as Spikes Shut Down Crosscutters, 8-0 - State College Spikes
- Tri-City Beats Lake Monsters 5-3 Thursday To Earn Split Of 4-Game Series - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cutters bats cool off in shutout loss to Spikes - Williamsport Crosscutters
- State College Spikes Game Notes - June 21 vs. Williamsport - State College Spikes
- Jammers to Host Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Night - Jamestown Jammers
- Derek Norris Joins Oakland A's, 66th Former Lake Monster to Reach Majors - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cowboy Monkey Rodeo Headlines Spikes Weekend Slate - State College Spikes
- Three-Run Seventh Dooms Doubledays in 9-3 Loss at Batavia - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.