Gonzalez's Walk-Off Shot Sinks RedHawksJune 20, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Oklahoma City RedHawks
Leading off the bottom of the ninth, Gonzalez lined a 3-2 pitch from Adalberto Flores (4-1) down the left field line that stayed about five feet fair to clinch the win.
The loss snapped a 10-game winning streak for the RedHawks against the Sounds and gave Nashville just its second win over the RedHawks in 14 games this season.
Starting pitchers Brian Bass and Seth McClung were both cruising through the first half of the game. McClung allowed one hit and faced the minimum through his first five innings, and Bass had allowed just two base runners and faced one over the minimum through four.
Jay Gibbons led off the bottom of the fifth with a solo home run to open the scoring. With two outs, Bass walked Eric Farris before McClung helped his cause with an RBI double to make it 2-0.
Leading off the sixth, McClung hit Angel Sanchez in the helmet with a pitch and then walked Landon Powell. Two batters later, J.B. Shuck delivered a two-run triple to tie the game.
Although Shuck was aboard at third with one out, he would not score. Brad Snyder doubled in the seventh, but he would be stranded as well. Snyder finished 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to 17 games.
Nashville had two on with one out and eventually loaded the bases with two outs in the seventh, but Juan Abreu got Jeff Bianchi to line out to end the threat.
The Sounds' bullpen tossed three scoreless innings, and Vinnie Chulk (3-0) earned the win after tossing a perfect ninth.
Coming off a rare loss against Nashville, the RedHawks will look to get back to their winning ways over the Sounds Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. Live coverage begins at 6:35 p.m. on AM 1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, or through the free IHeartRadio mobile app.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 20, 2012
- Isotopes 8th Inning Rally too Much for Zephyrs - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Gonzalez's Walk-Off Shot Sinks RedHawks - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Cubs De-"Rale" Express - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Fall to Iowa 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk off against RedHawks on Gonzalez Homer - Nashville Sounds
- Hicks Stays Hot, River Cats Beat Grizzlies 10-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Chasers Outslugged by the Redbirds, 13-9, on Wednesday - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs) - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Rainiers Stumble Against Reno, 7-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Use 9th-Inning Rally to Top Rainiers, 7-3 - Reno Aces
- Carpenter Holds Down Padres - Tucson Padres
- 'Topes Ninth Inning Rally Comes up Short in 9-7 Loss - Albuquerque Isotopes
- River Cats Power Past Grizzlies, 5-2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Sox Nearly Notch 5th No-Hitter in Franchise History - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.