Honkers Squash Beetles 8-6June 19, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Rochester Honkers
The Honkers jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning capped by a three-run home run from first baseman Reid Roper (Illinois). The homerun was Roper's third of the season and his second in as many days.
The Honkers scored another run in the second inning and two in the fourth on a two-run single by left fielder Justin Parr (Illinois).
Rochester starter Chris Noble (Pikeville) pitched a strong 7.0 innings and gave up three Alexandria runs to earn his first win of the season and improve his record to 1-3. Noble had plenty of help from his defense who turned three double plays behind him in the first three innings.
A sensational diving play by Honkers shortstop Michael Lukkason (Dakota Wesleyan) in the top of the seventh prevented the Beetles from plating two and kept the lead at 7-3.
Reliever Ty McDevitt (Minnesota) made his Honkers debut in the eighth inning but surrendered two earned runs in just 0.1 innings. Dakota Smith (Kansas) came in to relieve McDevitt with runners on second and third and just one out, and retired the next two Beetles to keep the Honkers' lead at three runs.
Smith came back out in the ninth and solidified the Honkers victory with his second save of the year.
Roper continues his hot hitting for the Honkers finishing 3 for 5 at the plate with an RBI double to complement his homerun in the first.
Smith, to go along with his save, was also 3 for 5 at the plate. Designated hitter Trevor Podratz was 2 for 4 with a run and an RBI.
The Honkers and Beetles will resume their series tomorrow, June 20th, in Alexandria at 7:05 PM. Starting for Rochester is lefty DJ Snelten (Minnesota), who is 0-2 in three games with a 2.84 ERA. Snelten will go up against Beetles right handed starter Scott Sanderson (St. Cloud State). Sanderson is 0-0 in nine appearances with a 12.46 ERA.
The Honkers will not be back at home until June 25th when they take on the same Alexandria Beetles at 7:05 PM.
Northwoods League Stories from June 19, 2012
- Rafters Solve Carson Park, Win Seventh Straight - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Defeat Rox for Fourth Straight Victory, 9-4 - Willmar Stingers
- MoonDogs Cruise Through Huskies - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bellin's Strong Start Helps Bullfrogs Blank Madison 5-0 - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bullfrogs Pitching Frustrates Mallards Offense Again - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Stab Rox - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox to Offer Military Discount - St. Cloud Rox
- Honkers Squash Beetles 8-6 - Rochester Honkers
- 'Chucks Drop a Barnburner 7-8 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- La Crosse Win Streak Hits 10 in 9-4 Victory Over Bombers - Battle Creek Bombers
- Special Offer for Princess Night this Friday - Willmar Stingers
- Foss and Bellin Set for Round Two - Madison Mallards
- Rox Fall to Willmar - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Defeat St. Cloud, 9-6, for Third Straight Win - Willmar Stingers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.