Ziegler, Pitching Great against SoxJune 19, 2012 - American Association (AA) Wichita Wingnuts
Four Wingnuts' pitchers combined on a three-hitter, while C.J. Ziegler powered the offense with two home runs and five RBI.
Wichita scored four runs in the bottom of the first to take early control of the game. Ryan Khoury led off with a walk, stole second, and was driven home on Jake Kahaulelio's groundball single to center field. John Rodriguez drew a four-pitch walk to put runners on first and second. Two batters later, Ziegler lifted a towering home run to left-center that made it 4-0 Wichita.
Wingnuts' owner Nate Robertson made his team debut, throwing two scoreless innings as the starting pitcher. Robertson faced the minimum in his two innings, striking out one, and throwing just 17 pitches.
Newcomer Nick Schreiber relieved Robertson and was terrific for five innings of long relief. Schreiber allowed one earned run on two hits to earn the win. Schreiber walked two, struck out five, and faced the minimum in three of his five innings.
Amarillo's lone run came on a solo home run from Alberto Espinosa in the top of the fifth.
Wichita extened the lead to 5-1 in the bottom of the sixth when Steve Carrillo drove in Juan Richardson from third base on a sacrifice fly to center field.
Starter Derek Blacksher came out of the bullpen and threw a perfect top of the eighth
With two outs and no one on base in the bottom of the eighth, Richardson walked against reliever Wes Littleton. Ziegler was next and lined a two-run homer over the left-center field wall.
Jeff Nadeau closed out the game for a second straight night with a perfect top of the ninth.
Chuck Lofgren started took the loss for Amarillo, allowing five earned runs on four hits in seven innings. Lofgren walked six and struck out one.
The series concludes on Wednesday afternoon at 12:05 p.m. Ben Graham takes on right-hander Justin Garcia. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
For season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
American Association Stories from June 19, 2012
- Lemurs Let One Slip Away - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Pheasants Win Fifth in a Row - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Jarvis Goes Distance in 6-0 X's Win - Sioux City Explorers
- Jarvis Shuts down RedHawks, Sioux City wins 6-0 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Kansas City Defeats El Paso in Game Two of Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Mackey Rights Ship for the 'Dogs in 5-2 Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Fish Fall Again to the Pheasants - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Offense A No Show As T-Bones Rout Diablos - El Paso Diablos
- Committee Loss for Saints, 5-2 to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Ziegler, Pitching Great against Sox - Wichita Wingnuts
- Big first inning by Wingnuts stifles Sox in 7-1 loss - Amarillo Sox
- AirHogs Set New Franchise Mark with 10th Straight Victory - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Eastview High School Wins 3A State Championship - St. Paul Saints
- AirHogs Outlast Boulders in 11 - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Wingnuts Sign Owner Nate Robertson - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.