Robinson Lifts Tides over Buffalo 7-55June 18, 2012 - International League (IL) Norfolk Tides
The Tides trailed 3-1 entering the sixth frame but loaded the bases with nobody out against Collin McHugh (0-1), who was making his Triple-A debut. Reliever Josh Edgin struck out Blake Davis for the first out of the inning, but Robinson drilled a 1-2 offering down the left field line, clearing the bases. Buffalo's relay throw home skipped past catcher Rob Johnson, allowing a hustling Robinson to score on the play and give Norfolk a 5-3 lead.
Robinson also added two singles and was hit by a pitch in the contest, as Norfolk improved to 8-3 in its last 11 home games.
Xavier Avery reached base safely five times in the contest, as he walked, singled twice, scored two runs and swiped two bases. Avery has now hit .500 (5-for-10) with six walks, seven runs and five stolen bases over his last four games.
Joe Mahoney had two hits to help pace Norfolk's 10-hit attack, while Lew Ford added a single and two runs batted in. Ford is now batting an incredible .818 (9-for-11) with runners in scoring position and two outs this season.
Brad Bergesen (3-3) earned the win in relief, as he allowed two runs - one earned - on five hits in three innings. Bergesen struck out six before giving way to Zach Phillips, who worked around a one-out double in the ninth to register his fourth save of the season.
Norfolk starter Jason Berken did not factor in the decision after yielding three runs - one earned - on seven hits in five innings of work. Berken struck out six while walking two, but his throwing error on a potential double play grounder in the fifth inning led to two unearned runs.
Despite going winless through 13 starts, Berken has posted a 2.47 ERA this season, good for 4th in the International League.
The two clubs will continue their four-game series on Tuesday night, with first pitch from Harbor Park set for 7:15. Miguel Gonzalez (2-1, 1.29) will start for Norfolk against right-hander Matt Harvey (5-3, 3.87).
International League Stories from June 18, 2012
- Robinson Lifts Tides over Buffalo 7-55 - Norfolk Tides
- Indianapolis Sneaks Past G-Braves, 5-4 - Gwinnett Braves
- Kuhn's Key Doubles Lead Knights to 5-2 Win on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Deals PawSox a Road Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- 5-Run Seventh Leads Chiefs Past Red Sox - Syracuse Chiefs
- Vandenhurk Leads Tribe to 5-4 Win over Gwinnett - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Erupts for Four Run Third, Five Run Fourth in 9-2 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Post-Game Notes- Durham 6, Rochester 1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Fall 6-3 to IronPigs to Open Homestand - Toledo Mud Hens
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, June 18 vs. Durham (Rays) - Rochester Red Wings
- Fukudome Scheduled to Begin Rehab with Knights Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Mud Hens Back in Toledo June 18 - June 25 - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe's Wilson Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- Russ Canzler & Justin Wilson Honored As International League Players Of The Week - IL
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Norfolk (7:15 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.