Russ Canzler & Justin Wilson Honored As International League Players Of The Week
June 18, 2012 - International League (IL) News Release
The International League announced today that Columbus infielder/outfielder Russ Canzler and Indianapolis pitcher Justin Wilson have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period from June 11-17. Despite having been last year's International League MVP, this marks the first time Russ Canzler has won the IL Batter of the Week award. Justin Wilson, who was also IL Pitcher of the Week April 23-29, is the first two-time award winner this season.
RUSS CANZLER, Columbus Clippers IL BATTER OF THE WEEK
The 2011 Triple-A All-Star Game "Top Star" made a strong case this week that he deserves a return trip to this year's event in Buffalo. Russ Canzler led the International League with three home runs
and 13 RBI for the week, highlighted by a grand slam on Thursday and a 5-RBI performance on Saturday. Canzler did most of his damage away from Huntington Park, where is his batting average is over 100 points higher this season than on the road. Seeing action as a first baseman, left fielder, and designated hitter this week, Canzler doubled his home run total and nearly doubled his RBI total for the entire season.
26-year-old Russ Canzler is in his ninth season as a professional player and first in the Indians organization. Last year as a member of the Durham Bulls he hit .314 with 18 homers and 83 RBI to earn honors as the IL Most Valuable Player. Canzler is a native of Berwick, Pennsylvania.
JUSTIN WILSON, Indianapolis Indians IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Southpaw Justin Wilson was stellar in a pair of outings this week for the West Division leading Indianapolis Indians, allowing a total of just one run on five hits in 13.0 innings pitched. On Monday against Pawtucket, Wilson turned in his longest outing since being part of a combined no-hitter on April 29. This time, he hurled 7.0 scoreless innings and scattered four hits while striking out six in an effort that was somewhat overshadowed in his club's 16-0 victory. Wilson was part of a much closer win on Sunday at Charlotte. After three perfect innings, the Knights chased home a run on a fielder's choice in the 4th inning. Wilson left after 6.0 innings having surrendered just one run on one hit, but with the game tied he did not factor in Indy's 2-1 victory. This season opponents are batting a mere .206 off of Wilson, the third-lowest mark of any starter in the International League.
24-year-old Justin Wilson is in his fourth season as a professional pitcher, all having come within the Pittsburgh organization. His first experience at the Triple-A level came in 2011 with the Indians, when he went 10-8 with a 4.13 ERA in 30 appearances (21 starts). Wilson is a native of Anaheim, California.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 18, 2012
- Robinson Lifts Tides over Buffalo 7-55 - Norfolk Tides
- Indianapolis Sneaks Past G-Braves, 5-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Kuhn's Key Doubles Lead Knights to 5-2 Win on Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Syracuse Deals PawSox a Road Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- 5-Run Seventh Leads Chiefs Past Red Sox - Syracuse Chiefs
- Vandenhurk Leads Tribe to 5-4 Win over Gwinnett - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Erupts for Four Run Third, Five Run Fourth in 9-2 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Post-Game Notes- Durham 6, Rochester 1 - Rochester Red Wings
- Hens Fall 6-3 to IronPigs to Open Homestand - Toledo Mud Hens
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Monday, June 18 vs. Durham (Rays) - Rochester Red Wings
- Fukudome Scheduled to Begin Rehab with Knights Tonight - Charlotte Knights
- Mud Hens Back in Toledo June 18 - June 25 - Toledo Mud Hens
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tribe's Wilson Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Indianapolis Indians
- Russ Canzler & Justin Wilson Honored As International League Players Of The Week - IL
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Norfolk (7:15 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.