Raley Shines In Complete Game ShutoutJune 9, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Iowa Cubs
Dave Sappelt recorded his sixth outfield assist of the season, gunning Caleb Gindl trying to stretch a lead-off single to a double to start the game. Nashville failed to plate a run in the first, despite three singles in the inning.
Matt Tolbert ripped a solo shot to right for his first home run of the season to put Iowa on the board in the first inning. Tolbert and Rizzo knocked back-to-back singles up the middle with two down in the third, but the Cubs could not cash in with their first runner in scoring position.
Iowa threatened again in the fourth, but failed to drive in a run with the bases full of Cubs. Ty Wright and Dave Sappelt followed Tolbert and Rizzo's third inning act by stringing together two singles. McClung then loaded the bases after Brooks Raley worked a walk with two outs, before striking Brett Jackson out to end the inning.
Tolbert and Sappelt were the only two Iowa hitters with one than one base knock, while Brett Jackson snapped his four-game hitting streak and his 17-game streak of reaching base safely.
The Cubs loaded the bases again with no outs in the sixth, but stranded three more runners aboard after McClung retired the next three batters on two strikeouts and a fly out, respectively. Iowa left nine runners on base in the win. Game two is scheduled to start at 8:05 p.m. with Esmailin Caridad toeing the rubber in his first start this season against Amaury Rivas.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Zephyrs Rally in 9th to Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Storm Chasers Rout the Express to Win, 12-5 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rivercats Rake Three Homers as Sox Fall 10-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Raley Shines In Complete Game Shutout - Iowa Cubs
- Soto Joins Iowa for MLB Rehab Monday - Iowa Cubs
- Storm Chasers stay perfect at home against Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Ross Pitches River Cats Past Sky Sox - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with Iowa Again - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Reno blanks Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Aces Shutout Tucson for Fifth-Straight Win - Reno Aces
- Nieve's Nil Helps 'Topes Blank Redbirds 12-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Outdueled By Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sox and Sacramento Trade Big Innings in Split of Modified Doubleheader - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- River Cats Lose Game One 12-4, Win Game Two 11-2 - Sacramento River Cats
- Cubs split doubleheader - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.