Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawksJune 9, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Rockford RiverHawks
"They put together good at-bats and got clutch hits," manager Rich Austin told NTA FM.
Rockford jumped on starter Southern Illinois starter Thomas Campbell in the first inning as an RBI double by Javier Herrera and two-run homer by Devin Shepherd, his first of the season, put the RiverHawks up 3-0. The Miners would answer with three runs in the second, but the RiverHawks would get three in the bottom half of the inning to go up 6-3, including a solo homer by Michael Hur, his third of the season.
However, the Miners would overcome a 7-4 deficit with three unearned runs in the fifth on an error with the bases loaded by starter Nick Sarianides. With the game tied at 7-7, Rockford's Evan Button would deliver in the fifth inning with a two-out, three-run homer, his first of the season, to put the RiverHawks up 10-7.
The Miners would score one on a solo homer by Jake Kaase, but the RiverHawks would score one in the sixth to go up 11-8. Starter Nick Sarianides lasted six innings, giving up eight hits and eight runs, five earned, while striking out a season-high eight batters.
Anthony Collazo (1-0) earned the win with two innings of scoreless relief, and Max Peterson pitched a perfect ninth inning for his seventh save of the season.
The RiverHawks tied a season-high with 15 hits. Button went 1-for-3 with four RBI on the night, while Shepherd was 2-for-4 with 2 RBI.
The RiverHawks return to action on Saturday night against the Miners, with a first pitch set for 6:05 p.m. The first 1000 fans receive a RiverHawks logo baseball, sponsored by the Illinois Railway Museum.
The RiverHawks are members of the Frontier League, an independent professional baseball league in its 20th season. Games are broadcast on NTA-FM (100.5) Advertising and ticket information is available by calling (815) 885-2255. Fans can also visit www.rockfordriverhawks.com.
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Boomers Hang on for 6-5 Win on Cancer Survivors' Night - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Seventh Inning for Rippers Dooms Joliet - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Hit Their Way to Victory over Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Throttle Evansville Bullpen - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts beat Florence 4-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shutout Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Brodin's Blast Catapults London - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things drop Game Two - Washington Wild Things
- Normal wins second road game, 4-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on Monday - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher, Will Start Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- When the Wild Things Are Away, Country Music Will Play - Washington Wild Things
- June 9 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Win in Comeback Fashion against Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.